Local, OTR, or Expedite - Need Advice

phatTweaker

Expert Expediter
I've had my CDL A since 1997, but got side tracked with a non driving job.
I have read of people jumping in to expedite jobs with little or no experience, so I thought about doing the same because OTR T/T jobs would require recent experience or at least a recent CDL school grad.
Recently I have been given the opportunity to take the full 150 hour CDL course at a Sage school near where I live at no cost to me which I figure would be best since I'm sure some of the DOT stuff and HOS has changed since 1997 which would help me get up to speed on all the new stuff and probably some old stuff I may have forgotten since '97, plus polish my driving skills a bit.
Anyways I will be starting CDL school Dec. 28th if my paper work gets processed in time or the January class at the latest.

Here are some options I have and would like you guys/gals advice on.
1.)Local job hauling scrap metal in a day cab and end dump trailer. Not sure on the pay, but they have decent benefits, 401k, home every night etc. Downside is they are only taking applications and have no positions available at this time.

2.)Trash Hauling driving either a T/T and end dump or a roll off straight truck. Pretty much same as above. No idea on pay(I asked, but they couldn't say unless they gave an interview). Also only taking apps at this time.

3.)OTR company doing regional runs, home every weekend, $.34 a mile for all miles (2500-3200 miles a week average), decent benefits, but that darn 53' trailer..lol Maybe I could get the hang of it after running with their trainer for 4 weeks.

4.) D-Unit expediter higher cents per mile, but no benefits, easier to drive then a T/T.

And the last thing I was wondering is if a person was hired on with a fleet owner what would they do about health insurance and retirement?
Could an individual buy health insurance or would it be super high price? What do you guys/gals do when you get sick or hurt?
As an expediter what's the best way to save for retirement?

thanks much

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
As far as what to pick as a career, you have numerous choices that you list. Your choice has to have a balance for all your wants and needs. Each would have there own set of challenges and rewards.
Wanting to be home or away will be one of the biggest decisions.

As far as expediting and being a independent contractor, you are on your own which can provide alot options.
Some carriers offer a health plan at varing costs. A medical savings account is another option if you qualify.
Outright buying your own policy, or get a simple BCBS policy.
Most and should have accident insurance or at least a workers comp policy. Many companies provide this through settlement deductions.

Retirement depends on what your goals and age are. Many options there as well. Everything from a Roth IRA to self 401k's.

The above at least gives you a place to start.
Good luck on whatever choice you decide.

Davekc