Loads going cheap lately?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well said blizzard2014

Basically your taking the freight at 20c above running cost, sets that price for the future.

We've all experienced our companies asking for a favor, then expecting it, if we do it once.

Last week it was more to do with an appointment but yes I drove 1000 miles home empty.

Since our company refuses to bid under $1 US a mile to the driver, I can continue to enjoy not working for the sister company that pays 80 cents a mile Canadian for every load.

Sure I'd be busier, but they seem to have a permanent ad in the paper to replace those leaving...

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
First of all 20c a mile over was me being conservative just for the point its probably going to be 25-30 over. Just depends on your expenses its going to be different for all.

Second yeah, you are setting an expectation, but its expectations on areas that have a lot more going to it than coming from it, or cities that just really dont have much shipping to do. Supply and demand and in my experience just continuing on with the laredo example, theres a lot more going to it than coming from it.

Now when im in good areas i agree with your logic 100% brokecanadian, ill wait for good paying run since theres more shipping going on and my odds are higher.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I completely agree with you, if it was actual trucking - where you could do that silly triangular lane thing and average out ok.

But there is about 99% more freight pushing the price in that instance.

I'd like to keep EXPEDITE rates, well EXPEDITE a little longer. Once Amazon figures itself out, they will have a truck just about anywhere same day for no extra cost, just by the nature of their core business

Edit: just my opinion. There's been people running for nothing since before I got into the biz

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Basically I've been lurking on the tractor forums where this issue is being beaten to death

It degenerates into people who take less per mile than it costs to run, in the belief that short paying is better than paying nothing at all on their bills

Personally in the situation you describe, I'd either ask for more going in, or if blindsided by an area I didn't know about, I'd travel on my own dime to a better place, refusing the cheap freight.

Right now I get enough that I can go all the way back home and still have my needed rate after fuel (kinda necessary cause my company never looks for backhaul anyway)

BTW 93c US$ is my low price for a paid for 2005 Sprinter. Insurance, maintenance, registration, FUTURE VEHICLE purchase - the one everybody forgets about (I can live on that too at a minimum) I don't understand any numbers below that...

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Walmart is basically doing the same thing trying to compete with amazon as well. Who really knows what is going to happen in this industry in the next 10 years with so much technological advancement. Shippers will mess up orders less. Self driving trucks are definately coming, and while i believe they will require drivers for emergencies for a little while, not forever. Just read USPS is testing a "TuSimple" self driving truck manned with a driver from phx to dallas. Thats going to lead to HOS fading away since computers dont sleep, so there goes our place in that. On that same note though, i do believe that with HOS becoming more lenient in july, there will be a little less van competition from those with CDLs in vans because they hate the HOS giving it another try.

I havent done the math on a TT like i have with a van so i really cant argue but even 1.40 seems high.

And yes, thats one of the points ive been saying get extra money going in for sure. But then its better in my opinion to run cheap out that just deadhead. But if its been like a day and a half and i cant even get a cheap run, ill bite the bullet and use that extra money i got to deadhead. Happens sometimes.

Its definately noble of you to say no fk that im not touching cheap freight id rather deadhead, but i feel like your a cause without a rebel, im only running cheap in the manner i described, but as you already know theres idiots that will just do that period. Even if you dont go crazy cheap, there going to find a van in laredo to take it. i mean hell in that situation even 10 cpm makes more financial sense than 0.

I treat each van as its own entity. I plan on running a gas van to 300k and then sell for maybe 10k and get a new one so thats kinda what i base the numbers on and whatever i sell the old one for can start the new vans spreadsheet as the down payment. Idk thats far away i havent worked out the kinks in that plan yet.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Also there a probably a lot of good truck drivers who are just bad businessmen who are running at a loss. I refuse to believe as a TT OO you cant make pretty damn good money if you are smart about it. Shipping is in more of a demand now than its ever been with all this ecommerce continuing and continuing to grow.

Reactions: Moot

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't go farther than 1000 miles anymore. If I was in Laredo I don't know what I'd do. Good point

Deandhead to TN SC GA? How many vans sitting :p

Reactions: ntimevan

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
Id either go to memphis or maybe ft smith arkansas...i seem to get loads out of there. Ive dh there twice from little rock and once from KC. So i might just go ahead and be there and jump the line.

Reactions: brokcanadian

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't go farther than 1000 miles anymore. If I was in Laredo I don't know what I'd do. Good point

Deandhead to TN SC GA? How many vans sitting :p

You would start installing AC's and researching generators. :laughing:
I just had a lady that wanted to ship a medium size chair from San Diego to Colorado for $150. I couldn't do it that cheap. My price was $250 which is still a decent rate given the distance. She declines the offer and I said no to taking the shipment cheap. So you gotta just say no and sit on the sidelines and wait for something better.

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
You would start installing AC's and researching generators. :laughing:
I just had a lady that wanted to ship a medium size chair from San Diego to Colorado for $150. I couldn't do it that cheap. My price was $250 which is still a decent rate given the distance. She declines the offer and I said no to taking the shipment cheap. So you gotta just say no and sit on the sidelines and wait for something better.
Wouldnt be horrible if you could combine a few small shipments like that. Medium chair though? Is that from uship or something?

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't stand multiple shipments (but it's worth it)

Ontario to B.C. for approx $3000, 2500 miles...3000 lb machine

I got a hunch I wouldn't make it20190508_225258.jpg

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Looks like black death injector issue. I know a place in Detroit that can fix the problem. How many bad injectors? Thats a really good price assuming it will fit in a vintage Sprinter.