Load swap plates

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I am thinking of making a dock plate for drivers to use when they swap out loads. My question is would any of you use a portable dock plate that could fold into a more compact size. I'm thinking of making a product such as this mainly as something to do while I can't drive. I'm just curious if this would be anything anyone could use. The best benefit of this would be the fact that you could have the use of a full size plate but could fold it for a more compact size to save space in the cargo box. Given the free time I have on my hands I might could design something for vans as well as straights and t/t. so any info will help.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
if anyone would be interested in helping me on testing the product once i've designed a few models. thanx.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
While the idea may be good in some cases, trucks with lift gates would not likely need a carry-along dock plate. Lift gates work great for moving freight from one truck to another.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have had 4 opportunities to move freight across via liftgate and 2 of the 4 times it was a hugely annoying ordeal. The angles were such that the liftgate could not be made level with the other truck. I've almost decided to refuse any transfers that do not have a dock available. A plate light enough to easily handle and capable of out of the way storage would be far superior to a liftgate for truck to truck swaps, at least to me.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
I have had one opportunity to swap with a lift. It was a breeze. One can lower the truck by removing the air from the bags which allowed us to match easily. That being said it has nothing to do with the question posed.
Plates only need to be wide enough to allow the passage of a pallet jack. Edge guides would be nice and of course a bottom plate so the plate won't slide.
There is a Panther driver that already makes transfer plates. The idea is good. You don't have to worry about an open dock. It is an opportunity to make more money. The driver gets paid not the Crossdock.
You also need a pallet jack.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
On the two that didn't go nicely we dropped the air and adjusted with dolly legs and finally got it done. It wasn't a snap like the other two though. The plate would have been much more efficient.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Nice idea,but,here at fed ex cc,we transfer our loads at fed ex terminals,either fed ex freight,fed ex express,I've even done this at fed ex ground,and since I dont do trailer swaps,found it to be much easier to cross dock

MERRY CHRISTMAS,AND HAVE HAPPY NEW YEAR

by the way,why are'nt you driving,did I miss a post