Load rating system with FED ex

bmarsh

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I,m wondering if anybody understands how the loads are distributed from fed ex. For example my partner and i were in Toronto last week with a D truck, with dwell time of about 12 . We were offered a C load to New york, 500+ miles and pay over $900. We took it and went to the pickup.
As it turns out about 5 other d trucks showed up with different
pickups for longer or shorter runs. There were about 6 b trucks on the toronto board. An e truck shows up and backs into the dock, after talking to the single driver his load was a box of bolts weighing about 25 lbs to be deleveried to Pennsylvania for a pay of $900, I know that there were b trucks available with longer dwell time in the same area, they were still sitting there when weall (southern word) left. I guess my question is are the e trucks dispatched first no matter what, or is there really a fair system in place. So if there is a comprehensible system how do we find out the point values and where we stand for dispatch.

Adaire

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I do not know how the dispatching actually works (everybody has different ideas, including FedEx), but I have made the same observation, that the "e" units move very quickly. I do know that the computer system does not dictate who is offered a load with FedEx, the dispatcher makes the call as to who is offered the load.
I have the feeling that no matter what, the "e" units are given first priority. The reason I make such a qualified statement is from experience. My brother and I were sitting at a TA with about 15 hours dwell time (in our "d" unit) when a FedEx tractor pulled in next to us. We were talking to the couple in the "e" unit when they received a dispatch offer to pick up a 700 pound load. There were "b" and "d" units there before we even got there. This couple also told us that when they are in service, they are shocked if they go more than 6 or 8 hours without a dispatch offer. To sum it up, yeah, I believe the "e" units are given top priority regardless of load.

I wish everybody the best of luck

Kyle O

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I cant say I am aware of any time one of my teams was leap frogged by an E truck. I am not saying I know for sure it does not happen I am merely saying. I monitor my trucks very closely and I cant remember when I missed a load I thought I should get and I lost it to an E truck. I do know that the DVA takes into consideration the destination of the load and whether there is a need for tractor trailers in the express center that the load is delivering to. Hope this helps. I can say yesterday my D truck was leap frogged by another D truck in Columbia SC. After speaking with dispatch in detail it was determined that I only had about 5 minutes more dwell and all other variables were equal so the DVA pulled both trucks with equal point totals, for the load but because his unit number was lower than mine his truck appeared on top of mine and was offered the load. Good luck!

Bob and Hooligan

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You raise a very good point. Watch your status checks. It would appear that the majority of runs are for D and E units. This would seem to be at odds with figures I have seen for the Expediting industry.

It is my understanding that an audit was done by the people from Memphis, and they told dispatch to match the loads with the trucks. How about it dispatch? Are you going against the parent company's instructions?

Trucker

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have been with Fed Ex CC going on 4 years, and I have learned that they do have favorites that they cater to. The "E" units make Fed Ex more money, as do the teams, so, they want to keep them happy. Over the years I have caught dispatchers and contract coordinators lying, and they're not very good at it. I don't say anything about them lying, because I'm sure that would effect my run offers. The attitude there, I've heard, is we don't care how many drivers quit...for every one that quits, we can hire two!!! That may be, but how long do they stay??? I find most of the people there to be arrogant, of course, there are exceptions. I like the job, and am presently looking at other companies, so far, I don't see much difference. I am convinced that the reason DVA was put in, was to cater to their favorites, who ever they are.. So, a word of advice, don't blindly trust these people, be suspicious of what they tell you, especially if it sounds good.