Load One July- Feel the Power!

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Good Evening Load One! Well couldn't get back in service yesterday due to rain and parents needing me to do things before I left out, SMH LOL. Got in service this morning and had several calls and finally hook one, but it ended up being a dry run.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Do we still get points for 'Accurate and timely logs?' Last I got it was for May.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Back at the yard after a late night run to Detroit.

Had some excitement when I stopped off at a walmart in Fowlerville Michigan last night around 2am. The cashier during my check out got replaced by a manager so she could tell the 911 dispatcher what happened.

Of course, this sparked my curiosity.

I was mostly concerned at that time about going back out to my van, after hearing someone ran out of the store.

The manager told me a 12yr old boy came in, said he had been beaten at home, had knots on his forehead and was running away. When he heard they were calling the police, he took off running.

As I was going to the van, I scanned the parking lot, but didn't see him. At the same time a police car was pulling in. I put away my food, plotted my next stop and continued on my way.

As I was leaving, I noticed a trailer park next to walmart and wondered if he came from there. Not a very populated area, so seemed logical.

A good 1.5 miles later I reached my entrance ramp back onto I-96. As I was turning on to the ramp I noticed a boy standing on the grass at a gas station by some cars getting gas. I thought, there is no way that's him, he must be with those cars just stretching his legs. He looked younger then 12, and thought there was no way he could of got this far, that fast.

As I got back on 96, I thought about calling 911 for a possible sighting. Then I wondered about who would the call be routed to from my cell, how could I give information when I wasn't even sure where I was, let alone where I saw him. So I decided I would go back, it was 2 miles before the next exit turn around. When I got back there was a police car, and a policeman searching on foot about 75 yards away heading towards the overpass. Crap that must have been him, but someone must have called it in, so I was glad on that part.

I tried to catch up to him to see if I could be of any assistance. Half worried in the dark I might surprise him and get shot or something. But I lost track of him and headed back to the van. Before I reached the van, I heard a voice call out to me from the other side of the road, "did you see him?".

I met the officer in the middle of the road. My jaw must have hit the road. I was now looking at the most beautiful women I have ever seen.

Back to business, I relayed everything I saw, time frame, description, (which did match the boys), what he was wearing and carrying, etc. And she relayed the info to the other officer on duty.

Since I had extra time before delivery (and also feeling incredibly guilty that I found him, only to lose him). I offered to help in the search which was appreciated. She said, "he's scared, he's been beat, we have to find him".

I got one lead from a place that saw him 30 mins prior in the parking lot, a little cold but checked it out. While I was doing that, a police car raced by with lights on going onto the east bound 96 ramp. Given the time in this sleepy small town, I figure they must have got another call. So I followed.

About a mile down 96 I saw both of them on the west bound side searching the side of freeway.

My time was up and needed to now continue on to delivery.

Feeling like crap, that's what I did.

I pray this has a good ending.

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Wow that is quite a tale. Hopefully it all works out for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Reactions: DollarSign

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Amazing how quickly things change. Last week was my worst week of the year. This week was my best. Great runs at great rates. Turning into a really good month.

Sent from my XT1254 using EO Forums mobile app
That's Expediting! I can say the same thing on my end! Tue thru Thurs not alot to brag about, then Friday BAM! Charlotte office strikes again and hits a GRAND SLAM with a weekend load. Customer was needing my van and I had to do a bit of DH to get the freight. You just never know for sure!

Last edited:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This hasn't happened in a while.

Got woke up a little earlier then normal for a load, didn't get it, but man was I a little disorientated. Quickly getting ready, planning on running in to the Pilot to fill my coffee thermos, etc.

Then I realised, I'm at Walmart lol.

Reactions: Turtle and ntimevan

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This hasn't happened in a while.

Got woke up a little earlier then normal for a load, didn't get it, but man was I a little disorientated. Quickly getting ready, planning on running in to the Pilot to fill my coffee thermos, etc.

Then I realised, I'm at Walmart lol.

Lucky you weren’t showering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Good Afternoon Load One! Got my load off Monday morning and gave it some time to see what happens where I was at. Nothing happen so I DH to the best closest location to get my next load. Two offers today and so far a no go.

Reactions: ntimevan