Big Truck Load bar storage

Hamman77

Active Expediter
Driver
Just wondering. Where do you S/T drivers store your load bars when you're empty? Mine are aluminum rectanglure ones, 90 inches long, 3.5" X 2". That fit into the E track slots. I'd like to store them off the floor!!

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I store them in my upper track at the nose of the box and also hang packing blankets from them too I carry 4 bars plus the modified bar for bumper lock (icc bar)

schwanman

Expert Expediter
We used to keep them hooked in top etrack on a 22' box out of the way. When we got to shipper we placed load bars according to load.
Example: 2 heavy pallets / boxes.
1 load bar 2' ahead of axle. Pallets / boxes side by side and then another load bar behind. Many different situations and combinations.

Reactions: neilblack

Hamman77

Active Expediter
Driver
I store them in my upper track at the nose of the box and also hang packing blankets from them too I carry 4 bars plus the modified bar for bumper lock (icc bar)
Ok, do u remove all four bars when getting loaded, or just the bars needed??

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I keep Em there till needed, the top row is 2' lower than the roof so they are rarely in the way

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Why waste money clip them in the truck how often do you have such a full load that they would get in the way? This looks way more complex than it needs to be.

TruckingSurv

Seasoned Expediter
Why waste money clip them in the truck how often do you have such a full load that they would get in the way? This looks way more complex than it needs to be.

I don't necessarily disagree, but to answer the OP, there is a solution if you want to spend the $70 or so.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use load bars in my van. They're telescoping, three piece bars that can be used in either vans/pickups or big trucks, depending on how you set them up. I store them against the right sidewall, just behind the side cargo doors. Locked in place between floor and ceiling until needed.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
The ones I currently use are stored on the floor because sure as sheet the fork lift driver will bury them along with my extra bars.. They are getting in rought shape now and keep hoping someone will run over them.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just wondering. Where do you S/T drivers store your load bars when you're empty? Mine are aluminum rectanglure ones, 90 inches long, 3.5" X 2". That fit into the E track slots. I'd like to store them off the floor!!
I dont know about everyone else but if I hang the I end up having to move them, on the floor for the most part.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
That's why I have etrack mounted high at front of the box the only time I'd ever have to move them is when I have a full load and need the 3" extra which is rare

JoeS

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
DOT can cite you for having loose load bars, straps, etc in your box.
Reference:

Part 392 covers drivers' responsibilities in securing vehicle equipment, i.e. chains, binders, dunnage, etc:

""§ 392.9Inspection of cargo, cargo securement devices and systems.

(a) General. A driver may not operate a commercial motor vehicle and a motor carrier may not require or permit a driver to operate a commercial motor vehicle unless—

(1) The commercial motor vehicle's cargo is properly distributed and adequately secured as specified in§§393.100 through 393.136 of this subchapter.

(2) The commercial motor vehicle's tailgate, tailboard, doors, tarpaulins, spare tire and
other equipment used in its operation, and the means of fastening the commercial motor vehicle's cargo, are secured; and

(3) The commercial motor vehicle's cargo or any other object does not obscure the driver's view ahead or to the right or left sides (except for drivers of self-steer dollies), interfere with the free movement of his/her arms or legs, prevent his/her free and ready access to accessories required for emergencies, or prevent the free and ready exit of any person from the commercial motor vehicle's cab or driver's compartment.

(b) Drivers of trucks and truck tractors. Except as provided in paragraph (b)(4) of this section, the driver of a truck or truck tractor must—

(1) Assure himself/herself that the provisions of paragraph (a) of this section have been complied with before he/she drives that commercial motor vehicle;

(2) Inspect the cargo and the devices used to secure the cargo within the first 50 miles after beginning a trip and cause any adjustments to be made to the cargo or load securement devices as necessary, including adding more securement devices, to ensure that cargo cannot shift on or within, or fall from the commercial motor vehicle; and

(3) Reexamine the commercial motor vehicle's cargo and its load securement devices during the course of transportation and make any necessary adjustment to the cargo or load securement devices, including adding more securement devices, to ensure that cargo cannot shift on or within, or fall from, the commercial motor vehicle. Reexamination and any necessary adjustments must be made whenever—
(i) The driver makes a change of his/her duty status; or
(ii) The commercial motor vehicle has been driven for 3 hours; or
(iii) The commercial motor vehicle has been driven for 150 miles, whichever occurs first.

(4) The rules in this paragraph (b) do not apply to the driver of a sealed commercial motor vehicle who has been ordered not to open it to inspect its cargo or to the driver of a commercial motor vehicle that has been loaded in a manner that makes inspection of its cargo impracticable.""

Search Regulations

Item (a)(2) addresses the load securement items.

Reactions: TeamCaffee

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I once got cited in Nj for an unsecured spare tire chain
It was rusted and stuck open
Wow were they hungry that day same time they hit my body bolts with a hammer and declared them loose!!! Wrote me up for unsecured equipment

BESTONER

Active Expediter
Ours are all stored in the front of our box in the e-track. We simply get out the ones we need for a load & leave the rest stored. Our straps are kept in our side box under the box. Because our truck is so heavy we never get loads that take up the whole box.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Long ago I installed a short piece or E Track in two spots in the Nose and just in front of the rear axle, 6 load bars, I also hang my blankets over them in the nose and I use the Center 2 load bars most, couple small pieces of E TRACK and some wood screws or Rivets, simple easy, effective...I can also make a very nice 4 foot deep shelf in the nose up high that the forklifts wont crush or hit and you can store, blankets, straps etc....I took a piece of Plywood, installed a 2x2 LIP with screws, one on top, one on bottom, and it makes a nice shelf and it slips over the front load bar and wont move and yet keeps all the gear stowed safely...rock and roll days taught me those little tricks...

Reactions: tknight