List your money saving tips here..

louixo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My last big rig was a KW, Cummins 400. I used to be able to save alot of money just watching where i bought fuel. I had two 100 gal. tanks, and would burn 100 gal or more per day. The difference in fuel prices, allowed me to save anywhere from $10 $20 a fill up. That savings would more than pay for my meals. That´s still true today, although my expediter tanks are half that capacity, so I don´t watch it as closely. I also have every motel discount card I can get, because I´m in a motel quite a bit, especially when I get caught in Noloadville on weekends. Then of course there´s meals. If you look around there´s always a deal somewhere. Just read the signs. An unknown is how much you save on maintenance costs. I spend the money to go the extra mile, and I think it pays off in the long run, big time. Example: if my batteries even cough, I replace them. If my starter skips a beat, out it goes. If a tire starts thumping..goodbye. Maybe extreme to some, but one tire bought in the wrong place because you "have to" could easily cost you double. Batteries too. I don´t deny myself comfort on the road, and if I have to idle my engine to that purpose, I do it. I try to watch my expenses to that end, comfort and profitability. Any tips i haven´t thought of, will be greatly appreciated.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Small thing but over the course of a year I estimate I save about $100.00 by using Supermarket Shopping Discount cards. I must have cards for about 25 different chains. I also get the Motel discount books that you find in rest areas,some truck stops,restaurants etc. If a restaurant or motel does not give decent value I fill out the comment card and mail it to the headquarters of the chain.You would be suprised at what you receive back in the mail, I have done it when I get great service also and sometimes that generates a coupon.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Whenever possible, I stop at Meijers. Large parking lots, fresh fruit & veggies, frozen foods (for microwave) good bakery, salad bar & deli. I avoid eating in restaurants or truck stops. Meijers also has, cheap oil, anti-freeze, windshield fluids, etc. They are air conditioned and you can sit in food court areas and read or just watch people.

A small BarBQ and supplies (small propane tank type) for quick grilling is great; along with folding canvas chair and table. A large umbrella is also useful. Wendy's and other fast food places have ketchup, mustard, mayo etc.; along with napkins and plastic utensils (wrapped). I carry paper plates with the wicker plate holders; and buy a liter of Pepsi for $0.79 on sale.

I have a large 12V cooler and get free ice where ever I can that is put in a plastic container and keep in the cooler. When possible, I fill the container with water and throw it in the freezer at home. You can drink the cold water and refill with ice. This keeps the cooler dry and the ice keeps things colder.

You learn what grocery stores and motels have free coffee and take in the big mug. When I go into the motels, I always ask the clerk if I can fill up the large mug. They always say yes and I have never been asked if I was a guest. I am never dishonest and can usually leave with a bit of food. (I suspect personal appearance and manners play a role in this.)

I use large book stores with coffee shops and wide selection of reading materials you can read and put back on shelf. This includes out of state newspapers. When killing time on hot summer afternoons, I shut off the engine, go into Dalton's and find a lounge chair; read a book and snooze (sometimes ear plugs help). Large malls can also work.

In the summer, I put down insulated padding w/carpet on the floor & fire wall of my FL-70 to reduce heat gain from engine. In the winter I remove it to keep my feet warm. The floor temperature gets to 90+ degrees without the insulation. With the insulation (during summer) it is in the low 70's. (I carry an infrared thermometer in my tool box.)

Printing out all of the money saving tips and information about mechanical problems & suggestions from this great web site helps me keep maintenance cost down. (Need to remember to keep copies in the truck).

BlueGooseFrght

Expert Expediter
Along with the Electric Cooler I use what I call a lunch box heater. You can buy them at truck stops for about 20.00. The home team makes extra leftovers for me and wraps them is foil and freezes them. I line the heater with foil each time and throw out foil each time. I also buy the disposable mini-bread loaf pans(can of chili fits perfect). I cook scambled eggs, potatoes and bacon on the weekend and take that along for quick cost effective breakfast(with all the supplies and a 1.50 cup of coffe I figure it cost me about 3.00). When I am out to long to replenish my supplies I will buy Deli roast beef and sliced chedder cheese, Make a sandwhich and put it in heater wrapped in foil. A few minutes later with the addition of some horseradish sauce I enjoy a hot roast beef and chedder sandwhich, that and an ice cold Icetea and I am good for a few hundred more miles. As a long haul truckdriver I narrowed my road expense to 40.00 a week. Mostly hot drinks and the occasional sit down with the guys meal.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
This is really tacky and I have never done this (lol) but you can park in a decent motel lot for the night,and in the morning go in as if you stayed there,help yourself to the free breakfast buffet,get a newspaper,fill your cooler with ice and leave. I once met a guy who kept all of the magnetic strip motel keys for motels that he had stayed in ,so if challenged (which never happens) he could claim that he stayed there. This same guy would eat lunch at a Western Sizzler,Ponderosa etc,order a small steak,fill up on the buffet and then take the steak and baked potato with him,keep it in his cooler,then heat it at a microwave later for another meal.Got 2 good meals for about $7.00..

G

For those of us who are leased to the smaller companies that don't have Com Checks for fuel and have to either use a credit card or pay cash for fuel. I watch how they price fuel, if they charge extra to use a credit card, I go elsewhere. One of the major chains charges 6¢/gal more if you use a credit card.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have to take issue with you about using the credit card. For example, if truck stop #1 charges $1.36 for credit card or cash; and truck stop #2 charges $1.36 for credit card and $1.30 for cash, I am going to pay cash at #2. That saves me $9.00 on my two 75 gallon tanks. If I save $13.00/wk (2000 miles) that equals more than $650.00 per year. If I am going to throw away $650.00, it surely isn't going to be at a truck stop!!!

leaning tree

Expert Expediter
i always buy oil, washer fluid, paper towels etc at walmart whenever poss. 5.96 is alot cheaper than 10.00 gal for oil.
i also go to autozone for wiper blades, bulbs, fuses i always carry extra of each.
i have discovered napa auto parts carries alot of fl-70 parts
such as heated mirrors, taillights, box lights & cab lights.
i live out of the freight lanes so instead of dh. home i go to a
motel 6 for a couple of days every 2 monthes any other times i stay in my truck. i stay out of truck stop laundries as much as poss.
they charge a fortune and dont do good.
i always carry a large selection of tools, 2 extra fuel filters,
an extra oil filter and an extra fan belt, i had to sit for a day and a half for a fan belt for a 3126 eng. once + pay a service call and a tow bill i now carry everything to change my own belts.
at last KEEP THAT AIR FILTER CLEAN !!!!!!! it will save a fortune
in fuel and repairs

Lostmarbles

Expert Expediter
I have been haveing my air filters cleaned by" Filter Products" Out West here we have dust that you can't understand till you see it. My trucks ran down near the open pit mines and we changed filters alot. Cleaning them cost only $9.00 each.
Life is what happens to you while your busy makeing other plans.

leaning tree

Expert Expediter
I GREW UP "OUT WEST" IN TRUCKING AND FARMING I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU
MEAN WHEN YOU SAY DUSTY.
MOST ALWAYS WHEN ONE OF MY TRUCKS HAD PROBLEMS IT WAS AIR FILTER RELATED, OR DATELANDS DIESEL FUEL

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have been giving this thread a lot of thought. I have come up with my idea. It's the first thing you go over in CDL school, the "PTI" or pre-trip inspection. How many drivers do you see who actually do it? I don't need any hands to count myself. I do it, and with having done it thousands of times, can do one in about 35-40 seconds. I inspect EVERY time I get fuel, a wonderful time to try it. Hey, you are out of the truck anyway and probably at a truckstop, right?
Imagine the grief you can be put through in wasted time and money going through a full level 1 DOT inspection because you had an out light somewhere and Johnny Gung-Ho DOT inspector found a bunch of other things wrong with your truck and or logs, permits, etc. I am so good at this, when fueling I can find things wrong with trucks fueling next to me, even some serious stuff.
How many out there know how to adjust the slack on air brakes? Not too many, I'll bet. (It's the #1 mechanical violation.) No big deal? In NJ, the fine is $250 PER WHEEL plus court surcharge, even if you don't go to court! Brake slack adjusting is a simpler thing to do than getting your fuel Comcheck to go through, and there is less dirt involved than what is in the truckstop gameroom if you know what you are doing.
PTI- the #1 time/money saver in my book.
-Weave-

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
JUMPMASTER

In my opinion to save money it is essential to have a fridge, microwave and inverter. Having this I have the wife brew up a gallon of coffee and freeze it, when I hit the road it is normally thawed out by the time Im ready for my first cup (summertime). I was leary of this but I found that the coffee kept in the fridge after thawing is as good as any fresh coffee from many establishments. Additionally in the winter she will make up a stew, cook a roast with potatos etc and then freeze these in meal size containers. They keep well in the fridge. Pinto beans are another favorite to freeze as well as spaghetti and sauce. So with this menu, depending on how long I stay out it will drastically limit my fast food stops. Clean up is fast as all of the containers are expendable. }>