lift axle controls

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Hello everyone. For those of you who have a lift axle (tag or pusher), where do you have your controls? I've been told that the pressure regulator could not be within reach of the driver. I've also been told that the raise/lower switch couldn't be within reach of the driver. I realize that it probably varies from state to state, just trying to figure what I need to do with the controls.

Thanks, Rocketman

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are a few states that don't allow the controls to be in the cab. I'm not sure which ones. It would be best to mount them in a storage box, for example, to be sure you're in compliance.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
Our control is right beside the driver and we have had a number of inspections and it has never come up as a problem. Once we were pulled in at a scale in Illinois during the winter. We had a lot of snow and ice on the truck, making it weigh more than usual. The scale master said over the speaker, "FedEx put that axle down now! You are overweight." I was glad to be able to put the axle down immediately and he could see it going down so we were not fined. I believe the problem was because of the extra weight due to snow and ice but it sure was handy to have the axle control right there beside me.

India Hamner
[font color="purple"] FEDEX [/font][font color="blue"]Custom Critical[/font]
D Unit
America - Home of the free because of the brave!

ATeam

Retired Expediter
In a fleet owner's truck, where the lift axle controls were within the driver's reach, a scale cop in Louisiana issued a $100 ticket for that violation; which the fleet owner paid. He reasoned he would take his chances with additional fines instead of paying money to relocate the controls.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
were you at the shrevport scales phil? those people are something else. I got a ticket for 10 bucks one time for being 100 lbs over on my trailer axle. After that I started dodging that one. By the way I've also heard in addition to not wanting the driver to be able to control the lift axle some states don't want you to be able to dump your air bags in the truck. all this can help you get by with being overweight at the last second, therefore costing them revenue in fines.

I love my country, but I don't trust my government.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
It has been a while since that ticket was issued. I'm sorry, but I do not recall the exact location in Louisiana. I would have to go home and dig through old paperwork to look it up.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member
Good topic as was team Caffee's about tags or pushers being illegal in some provinces of Canada.
I was always led to believe within reach never became an issue if you kept the axle down in the state of Louisiana.
But my info came from owners that probably wouldn't pay the ticket and advised to lift the axle after passing the scale ;)

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the comments everyone. The axle is being installed now. I think I may have the controls put in the cab until I'm forced to do other wise. I'm actually thinking of keeping the pressure regulator outside, but I would really like to have the lift/drop control within reach.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
We've been busted twice and both times were at the Shreveport coops, both times we complained about the fine and both times the fine was reduced to $50 from $100.

It wont matter if the axle is up or down or if you're running empty! if they see it and the regulator is within reach you'll be a $100 lighter after you leave and dont forget there will be an inspection of all your paper work as well.

The last time we were busted the wife was driving who by the way is Cajun and she and the DOT agent started talking about how fair this violation was and under his breath he said look at these monitors (Cameras)....if I didn't pull you in they would have my a.. next time take the side road around and avoid this coop.

Pre-pass has gotten us past the NOPE!!! I'm not going to jinx us!

Never had a problem anywhere else in the USA and the federal DOT regs dont have a problem with the controls being within reach, we were told that no one can remove regulations from the federal DOT but any state can make amendments as they see fit.

When I received my first fine at that coop I was told something to the effect that a truck (in the past) had dropped the axle just prior to rolling over the scale and just as the trucks rear axle was on the scale the air bag popped as they allways do and it messed up the scale pretty bad, I still think it's all about the money!

I hope this is of some help!

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
That's good info there Sharp, as a contributing member to the tag axle police I can honestly say that they WILL nail you at the Shreveport coops no matter what you do to avoid it as they are on the lookout for expediters.

I am glad that we have decided to move the controls out of the cab,it gives us a much better feeling now when we are in LA.DD.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
There are 2 scales I can think of right off the top of my head to avoid at almost all costs. Shrevport,La and Banning, Ca. Shrevport is one of the only scales I know of to weigh spread axles seprately. I had a load of lumber going from north of New Orleans to Jefferson,TX. Got weighed at the Baton Rouge scales everything was fine. Got weighed at the Lafyette scales everything was fine. Got weighed at the Shrevport scales and got a 256 dollar ticket. The company paid it bacuase the only reason the two axles didn't weigh the same as because something was wrong with the equalizer on the air ride suspension. Banning is just a tough scale. If you pass inspection there you can pass it anywhere.