Legal Lenght Limit

pirate3

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What is the legal length limit for a straight truck? I have heard that it is 40', and was wondering if anyone could confirm this or tell me where I could find out.

What length trucks are you folks running, and do you ever have problems at places you PU/Deliver due to turning radius or height restrictions?

Thanks in advance, and if you could look over my post in the newbie section, any comments would be appreciated.

bandit

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
40 ft. is usually accepted but is not always legal. look in the front of your truck atlas and it gives you state by state. mine is 40 ft. and never had a problem at the scales. it turns real slow but rides nice otr. wouldn't change it.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you look in the front of the Rand McNally Atlas it will give you the state by state restrictions.I believe North Carolina is still at 35 feet for a staight truck and a year or so ago they were giving violations for overlenght trucks.My D unit is 39 Feet long and I have never had a problem..

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I AM NOT 100% SURE. BUT I THINK THAT AS OTHERS STATED IT VARIES BY STATE. I WAS ALWAYS TOLD 40 FT IS THE MAX LENGTH. MY TRUCK IS JUST A HAIR SHY OF 40FT. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS AT THE SCALES ETC. 0NLY PROBLEM I HAVE IS MY TRUCK REALLY TURNS WIDE. BUT I HAVE A FL CLASSIS XL WITH A SET FORWARD AXLE AND ALOT OF HOOD STICKING OUT FRONT THERE. SO I THINK THAT TURNING IS GOING TO DEPEND ON THE TYPE OF TRUCK AND THE SET UP.