Leaving the truck for a van.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The ford in high roof and extended is 10360 lbs
the ram is under 10000, this is what you want.
under 10000 lbs equals no log and scales.
hope this helps

The SRW Ford Transit 350 is at 9,500 lbs GVWR. And the payload is 4,390 lbs.
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1424209205.705168.jpg

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have not expedited over the road to date. I did drive my Nissan High Roof Cargo Van over 2300 miles per week with my last business. Excellent quality vehicle that rides like a luxury liner. I suggest at least going on a test drive for comparison. I have not driven the models Xiggi suggested.

Indeed, Nissan NV is a very comfortable working vehicle, well built, with an engine that I believe it lasts longer than the tiny ones from Ram or Ford Transit. But speaking about capacity, NV kinda sucks. You put two pallets and you're done, no more room for anything else. Also, should I mention about the fuel consumption difference between NV and Ram or FT?

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Indeed, Nissan NV is a very comfortable working vehicle, well built, with an engine that I believe it lasts longer than the tiny ones from Ram or Ford Transit. But speaking about capacity, NV kinda sucks. You put two pallets and you're done, no more room for anything else. Also, should I mention about the fuel consumption difference between NV and Ram or FT?

True. 108" hurts our guy that has an NV.

brohammerllc

Expert Expediter
Have you considered the option of purchasing a used vehicle from one of the large rental fleets? Not one of the "yellow cube vans", but a 12 to 15 foot one? Get one with a higher box height and you should be ok. Request maintenance records--and ask when the last service was done.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
OK, because my good friends @ Ziegler in Plainwell, Michigan have both Promasters AND Transits by the dozens, we compared the two head to head. Here are the results: the Ecoboost T350 Jumbo SRW weighed 5,352 lbs. which with a 9,500 GVW results in an empty carrying capacity of 4,148 lbs. The sticker is $42,730 reasonably optioned.

The 3500 Extended Promaster weighed 4,905 lbs. which the 9,350 GVW results in a 4,445 empty carrying capacity. The sticker is $39,980, again, reasonably optioned.

These are real vehicles and real facts.

Last edited:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I ' m just curious How your Ram 3500 ext body weighs less than everyone elses....Heck my 2500 159 inch wheel base weighed New Empty 150 lbs. more than your claiming your 3500 1 tons weigh....hmmm 15 inches longer 270 lbs heavier than 2500.....But yet yours weigh less.....hmmmm....oh lets not forget Driver wt..gas wt..personal items wt..and now your jumping out about transits weight.....Come on....Westy

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I ' m just curious How your Ram 3500 ext body weighs less than everyone elses....Heck my 2500 159 inch wheel base weighed New Empty 150 lbs. more than your claiming your 3500 1 tons weigh....hmmm 15 inches longer 270 lbs heavier than 2500.....But yet yours weigh less.....hmmmm....oh lets not forget Driver wt..gas wt..personal items wt..and now your jumping out about transits weight.....Come on....Westy
That's what is on the door jam AND the shipping weight on the invoice to the dealer... maybe you want to call my saleman a liar too? He confirmed the numbers not even an hour ago.

Please go back and reread my post... I SAID EMPTY WEIGHT ON BOTH!!!

Pretty soon you will be wanting to weight all my drivers too... seriously!!!

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's what is on the door jam AND the shipping weight on the invoice to the dealer... maybe you want to call my saleman a liar too? He confirmed the numbers not even an hour ago.

Please go back and reread my post... I SAID EMPTY WEIGHT ON BOTH!!!

Pretty soon you will be wanting to weight all my drivers too... seriously!!!

Same old story.....I'm talking SCALE TICKET and you know it....I drove and had dealer scale Promasters at legal scales ...over a dozen different times including a 2014 & 2015 Diesels just a weekend ago in Raleigh , NC... I know what they weigh empty and what they weigh with me (195lbs.) inside...so like I said before quit bragging you can LEGALLY haul 4000 lbs. in your finished interior van with Driver & fuel plus personal items....I will drop it......if want to haul 4000 lbs or more thats fine....just QUIT coming on EO and telling newbies and oldies how your VANS seem to walk on water.....

Last edited:

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Same old story.....I'm talking SCALE TICKET and you know it....I drove and had dealer scale Promasters at legal scales ...over a dozen including a 2014 & 2015 Diesels just a weekend ago in Raleigh , NC... I know what they weigh empty and what they weigh with me (195lbs.) inside...so like I said before quit bragging you can LEGALLY haul 4000 lbs. in your finished interior van with Driver & fuel plus personal items....I will drop it......if want to haul 4000 lbs or more thats fine....just QUIT coming on EO and telling newbies and oldies how your VANS seem to walk on water.....
You are over the top... HATER!

You didn't read this post at all. I never said a word about my vans... no bragging about my vans... or being finished... or walking on water... raw vans, as on the lot, at the dealer.

What anyone puts in them will not change this post whatsoever...

Nor how much anyone weighs.

Take a pill...

Last edited:

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Same old story.....I'm talking SCALE TICKET and you know it....I drove and had dealer scale Promasters at legal scales ...over a dozen including a 2014 & 2015 Diesels just a weekend ago in Raleigh , NC... I know what they weigh empty and what they weigh with me (195lbs.) inside...so like I said before quit bragging you can LEGALLY haul 4000 lbs. in your finished interior van with Driver & fuel plus personal items....I will drop it......if want to haul 4000 lbs or more thats fine....just QUIT coming on EO and telling newbies and oldies how your VANS seem to walk on water.....
Please provide the dealer and salesperson that assisted you "weighing over a dozen 2014s & 2015s including diesels just a weekend ago".

I call HORSESXXT!!!

But if it's true, I will sincerely apologize...

What's the name & number???

COME ON!

Last edited:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You are over the top... HATER!

You didn't read this post at all. I never said a word about my vans... no bragging about my vans... or being finished... or walking on water... raw vans, as on the lot, at the dealer.

What anyone puts in them will not change this post whatsoever...

Nor how much anyone weighs.

Take a pill...

Typical going back editting posts..............you stated that you had 4445 starting empty weight please read above....but if I was a hater why didn't I question your weight compacity on YOUR build a Promaster thread....one because in general it is a good thread and when mention the weight hauling capacities of Your PMs i bit my tongue because i did not want change that topic because it has good use to newbies or someone thinking of getting a PM......ALL I am asking get off the bragging High Chair about what you haul in your PMs....if not I will continue to point out the misinformation on cargo capacities....