Laredo/Mexico

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
When your in Laredo have any of you crossed the border to see what was there? Anyone ever taken the truck stop limo to boys town? Was it fun? Was it safe?

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I walked across at El Paso or Nogales (can't remember which) but was alone and too chicken to get more than 150 feet from the entry gate. I sooo wanted to get a brew over there.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
No I never have crossed the Border,but I wish I would have,as of late I am troubled by all the Drug Cartel trouble that you hear about on the news. Don't want to get caught in the cross fire. Also was more worried about a load out.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Laredo is not the place to cross. McAllen, I'm told, is safer than Laredo or El Paso these days, though even then I'd only cross if going with someone I know and trust from McAllen who knows the ropes.

When I was a kid we used to go into Juarez from El Paso for the bullfights. I think a solo gringo would be a target, in more ways than one, if he crossed into Mexico at Laredo, El Paso, or Nogales these days.

There is a gov't sanctioned safe crossing that just reopened in Boquillas, where you can walk across and do business with trinket makers, but that's way down in Big Bend country.

Let us know what you end up doing...if we don't see you post in several days, we'll look for you in the papers =P

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
We drove across, in Laredo, en route to Monterrey in 2006.

The other poster's got it right....no place for a solo gringo.

Omaha

Active Expediter
I walked over into Nuevo Laredo last summer and it was OK, it was in the day so I felt a bit safer and I only took $25 and my license. The exhaust fumes almost choked me out :) I am not sure it was a smart move but I stayed for a few beers and and an hour of people watching. I was afraid to eat anything but the beer was cold

breeze

Seasoned Expediter
I think 06407 I drove across and my sprinter and drove down about 50 miles into Mexico towards Monterey there was junky shack's junk cars is all very poor people also went to voice town it was good back then

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Did some poking around, 'cause I'd love to go over, too, for a number of reasons; historical, cultural, and gastronomical. Well, cervezas too.

Found this, published just yesterday, regarding Nuevo Laredo: "Laredo's Mayor Raul Salinas says, he is hopeful that things will get better in our sister city, but says it won't be easy, "i think it's going to take a lot of hard work. it's been branded as one of the most violent cities on the border."

More from that article here: Nuevo Laredo Safety | Pro 8 News.com - News, Weather, Sports - | Laredo, Texas | Local

Also this, Nuevo Laredo 2012 Crime & Safety Report

seekerman

Expert Expediter
I was in Laredo a few weeks ago and walked across. While I was having a beer on the way out of town (Coronas for two bucks) a guy named Johnny sat with me and we talked for a bit. Nice guy, clearly a businessman, and stood out as being somewhat more cosmopolitan in his dealings with tourists in that he was clean cut, spoke well, and seemed to be a reputable "businessman." Clearly not one of the shady characters who walk up to you with a couple of skanks in tow. Said he had been doing it for 28 years. He filled me in on the area. He said that Boys Town is no longer in operation because it had become too dangerous, but I can't confirm that. He made a phone call while we were sitting there and a few minutes later a georgeous lady showed up, which he offered me. I declined with thanks and a maybe some other time. When I was younger it would have been a different story.

While I was walking around the area there were very serious soldiers armed with automatic weapons everywhere. I took a picture of a group of them with my phone. One of them spotted me taking the picture even though I was being discreet. He broke away, approached me, and made me erase the picture and that was that. I guess it boils down to your comfort level in such situations.

All in all, I wouldn't be concerned with crossing, but I would recommend that you smile and relax. You will get the same in return. Like anywhere else - if it's trouble you want you will find it. Stay on the main street and only go a couple of blocks up. You will see everything you might want to see and you can get a bite to eat and a couple of beers. There is a nice park/gathering place a couple of blocks up. I sat with a couple of old guys. Nobody said a word, we just enjoyed the day. I crossed over a year ago and there were no soldiers then; only an armored vehicle at the border. I had a much more relaxed experience this time, probably because I relaxed. However, let there be no doubt; the Los Zetas cartel, which controls the drug trade in Nuevo Laredo, has everyone there on edge. You can feel it. But the folks there are making the best they can of it and are keepin on.

Last edited:

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
The sickness continues. If one wants to go to boystown, its for one reason only....................

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
If you check out the US Department of State they have warnings about going there,as well as other countries that may not be safe. The normal tourist cities are pretty safe but not along the border.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Back in the 70's we'd drive old Ugly, our 4 dr F250 with rifle shells on the floor board, accross the border into Acuna (before ZZ Top sang about it even) for the evening and feast on an awesome game plate w/ quail, cabrita, venison, a mass amount of food and Raul would mix us the finest of ritas, all for cheap.....ah the memories!. Wouldn't do it today tho. The closest I have gotten to this was when our Mexican neighbor invited us over for a feast, it was devine, even tho we could not understand most of what we were saying to each other.