Laptop Software

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'm surprised I don't see more postings on this subject.
Here's what I use in my truck:
1: Bjorklund's Driver's daily log program. Available free at www.driversdailylog.com. (Thank you WendyCal for this one) I have a small printer in the truck to print the logs and every DOT inspector and trooper (I meet a lot of them) has loved them. It makes logging fun and easy. I keep some paper logbooks on hand in case of problems.
2: Microsoft Streets and Trips 2002. Finds (almost) everything. I have only had to make a few phone calls the last year or so to find a place. I can print these too. Sensitive to "Industrial Drive."
3: PC Miler. This is the program most dispatchers use to calculate mileage and routing. I use it to help me with fuel reports and get quick mileage updates. It is great for course routing as it will only show truck routes.
4: Microsoft Word. I made generic templates for a BOL and maintenance report with this and also use it to print envelope labels to send in my paperwork.

Is there any other good truck related software out there you folks are using??
--Weave--

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
I haven't really invested much into trucking software. My computer is constantly on the brink of crashing so I keep it to a minimum.

When I was with Landstar I relied heavily on Rand McNally Trip maker and address finder. Both work very well. We purchased them both for $20.00 in a truckstop. They have paid for themselves many times over in the last couple of years.

We also have programs to obtain business telephone numbers and fax numbers accross North America. These are awesome if you can't get a good number from a agent/broker.

I also have a truckstop guide on CD ROM. This application lists truckstops all over the US, what kind of 3rd party fuel cards they accept and what services they provide. You can search it by state or by city.

I am currently thinking about getting a PDA for everyday use. It is easier than getting the laptop out when not laying over.) With most modern PDA's now you can get routing, do a load search (Including expediteloads.com), get daily trucking news from Transport topics and check your email without looking for a phone line! You can even get a program from Cummins and do a diaognostic check of your engine!

WendyCal

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Wild Bill, i sure wish we had known about that telephone number program while we were with LEA ~ we spent many an hour trying to get decent numbers! LOL

Weave, you're welcome for the referal ~ but it's Mr. Bjorklund we have to thank for the actual program. Did you read in his disclaimer about why he wrote the program in the first place? Just to help us (truck drivers) out! That's pretty awesome! As an aside, just before we came in off the road, LEA sent out a fleet~wide message that they would no longer accept the computer logs ~ something to the effect that their DOT log inspector person didn't 'LIKE' them. Shesh! If we had stayed, i would have fought THAT tooth and nail! x( As it was, we left owing them about a month's worth of handwritten logs ~ but if they ever try to hit us up for them, i'll tell them to take me to court! i turned in LEGAL logs!

In addition to the programs y'all are running, we ran Corel Suite 8, which included Word Perfect 8.0, a word processor, and Quatro Pro, a spreadsheet program that i used to do our books. It was also very good for keeping track of the mileage by state reports we had to do for Texas.

i can't believe neither of you mentioned any GAMES! ;-) i got some pretty cool one's from www.wingames.com ~ you pay $10 for one of them, and you get the other 25 or so for FREE! My favorites were Acey~Duecy and Dominoes. i also downloaded a really good Majong game called Kyodai Majong for free from ZDNet. Unfortunately, out on the road, i didn't have time for any of the more intricate RPGs (Role Playing Games). (i guess i could have MADE time for them ~ but then, the freight would have had to wait! ROFL)

Do any of the rest of you ever look around at all that we have in the way of tools and technology and ask yourself, 'How in the world did truck drivers USED to do it all???' You gain all new respect for the old timers when you stop to think how well you'd hold up to their circumstances...

Godspeed to all of you out there on the highways and byways!

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Believe it or not we found the telephone/fax numbers programs at flying J. Not sure if they still sell them but they used to put them back in the books and magazines alisle. They sure are a help.

As for games. I am not much of a gamer. Normally when I am on here I am either surfing or doing website stuff (HTML, making graphics or uploading something) I do play solitare on occasion. I do have one game that is fun. try this one:

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have talked (via e-mails) to Fritz Bjorklund (DDL's creator)on a few occasions involving DDL's compliance, esp. here in New York where I live. He is a very knowledgable and helpful person, and will always answer any questions. I don't see how anyone CAN'T like the DDL program! I believe one of WendyCal's postings was where I first learned of this program. My company allows the computer generated logs.
My game list includes Links '99, SimCity, Vegas Games, and Elf Bowling 1 & 2. If I run into anything else good I'll post it!
-Weave-