Landstar

elton10

Expert Expediter
Anyone have any storng feelings pro or con about them? I'd be working as a driver for a fleet owner(the owner seems OK)

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I have never personally worked for them. I have talked to some of their drivers though (maybe 6 or 7 thru-out the years) & every single one I've talked to seemed happy w/ em. I would think they'd be a good choice for ya.

Good luck to ya,
Danny

late for dinner

Expert Expediter
Landstar is as good as you want it to be. However its a good old boys network and they will tell you that, in so many words, during orentation. It is not a first in first out dispatch. The brokers will give you a chance but if your attitude is not good or you :censoredsign: about everything they will just let you starve. Not too many drivers leave Landstar to go to another company just because of the money. Good luck.

elton10

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the info..so? If the owner is in good with them then I could expect to get dispatched more often?

targuard86

Expert Expediter
i just took a truck from Landstar and put it with FCC because the driver didn't do well in the Landstar system. As someone else stated, its not a clear cut dispatch system like some of the others. I personally like the fact that if you take care of a brokers freight and customers they will try to look after you later but if you don't treat them or their customers well..............

Bottom line, if you can work their system you'll do great, if you arn't a good "people person" and just want to hear a beep on a computer and hit a yes or no button, Landstar is not the place for you.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>Thanks for the info..so? If the owner is in good with them
>then I could expect to get dispatched more often?

I'd say if the owner is in good that's worth a maybe one time per express center. What they really care about is your performance for their customer. They might get around to trying you out sooner if they are tight with the owner but it's up to you to make things happen after that.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

KYoung

Expert Expediter
Question are you talking Express, or Carrier Group (Ranger Inway Ligon)? I have a B and D unit on with LEAM (Express), personally, I wouldn't go anywhere else. We have over 50 agents all over the country so we can pretty much get a load from anywhere. The pay is really good, the B unit makes about 2,000 on a good week, it makes about as much as most singles in a straight truck with the other companies.

We drive team in the D unit, but the guys that I talk to that are single in the D units make about 3,000 a week. Remeber these may not be averages but it is acheivable because of the way we are dispatched, if your good then the agents take care of you. Most of us work really close with about a dozen agents, we can stop and visit with them and get to know each of them and they get to know us as well.

Hope that helps
Ken
Leam 4474

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'm delighted to hear some Landstar people speaking up about their experiences. I know there are folks doing well with Landstar but they sure seem to be quiet about it. While we're pleased as punch to be FedEx CC drivers now, Landstar is our plan B company if something goes seriously south. The more I can learn about Landstar on an ongoing basis, the better it is. Keep it up folks.

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
August will mark two years with Landstar ,Leam since Apr 2005. So far I have to say it's been good I run solo D unit out west and run a team in a D unit where ever the freight takes them. The winter slow down was an eye opener, but so was the money during the hurricane season. I have found mgmt to be very responsive to any issues I ve had and there are benefits to being with a large company. It is the only co I have worked for as a oo, So I may be missing a lot and not know it. I do love the flexibility to run where I want and not face any repercussions.And yes, I do drive better than I spell:)

creekindian33

Expert Expediter
if the owner is barrnet last name he will smille in ur face an his wife will stab u in the back but if its not him ive nevere heard any thing bad abought lanstar if ur owner has been there for a long time u should do good just make sure u get the brokers on ur side asap :)

Marty

Veteran Expediter
I've been with them for several years. I've always done a good job and have always been on time. I am friendly to the custumers as well as to the agents but I still can't get in good with the agents. I get loaded around consistently. This year I have had more weeks in which I have grossed under $500 than not.
Other than doing a good job and having a pleasant attitude I have no clue how to get in good favor with the agents. All I know is that if you don't you won't make a good living.

MRADI

Expert Expediter
I have heard from Chad, a landstar recruiter, that you have full access to the landstar brokers load board if you are signed up with Express America. It only pays 65% but you do get the fuel sercharge as well. Could you not use this tool to make extra cash when the agents are being @#%*holes?
Just a thought.:)

Marty

Veteran Expediter
If you are in a van forget the load board. Very rarely is any load on there that would fit on a van.
If you have a straight truck you can sometimes find loads on the board but they usually don't pay enough to be worthwhile. Lea's sister companies get their percentage(I think its 30% now) off the top then the truck owner gets 62% of what LEA gets.
The truck owner winds up with 43% of the pay which is usually not good to begin with since it is a partial load.
These partial loads are intended to provide additional reveue to tractor trailer drivers who have room for a partial load on their trucks going in the same general direction as their main load.
These loads can help LEA straight truck drivers pay for fuel getting out of deadzone areas from where they otherwise would not get any LEA loads.