landstar

gingerbreadman

Expert Expediter
this is a short message to the new dispatcher jdcooper. we are leased to lea just today we were passed up for a short run 200 miles agent told me they were holding us for the long run that might come.this upset us, what do you think the answer will be when they offer us a short run when nobody else is around.there is always the other side to listen to.:-( :-( :-(

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We have been with LEA for two years now. We have never been passed over on a short load. What we have done, is ask the agent if there is a solo in the area and if he/she is available to take the run. If not we will take the load to help out. We also have taken a load that was 190 mile deadhead with delivery of only 90 miles, just help out the agent. Once the agents really get to know you, as a team, you will be offered many short runs. Right now coming out of Rockford, they try to give the short runs to the solos and teams the longer runs, just to get you out of Rockford area. :7

Just remember to call every agent, every morning. You never know what agent will call you back for a load.

Good luck!

gingerbreadman

Expert Expediter
we have also been with lea for about a year and a half we do call ageents in the morning. we do not turn down loads,as that is not good business practice. we have seen other agents do this also. as far as we know we have a good rep with everyone we have hauled loads for. truck is almost paid for and we are looking.:-(

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I was going to reply to your post with a how are you doing, and, but what's your point? I was also going to tell you that you SOUND like a cackling old hen, But for the sake of argument I won't go there. Have a nice day.

jdcooper

Expert Expediter
Hi,

I just wanted to respond to the new LEA driver that was passed over. Whenever a service center gets an order for a pickup- we look at our board to see what drivers are in the area and available. All drivers usually get paged. Usually the first driver to accept the load gets it. We have a dry erase board up on the wall but the trucks change so fast you can't hardly keep up sometimes. Once I get a driver to accept a load-- and providing he has the "required" equipment..then he gets it. It's too hard to NOT let a driver take a load...... Unless your dispatcher truly has something better for you. From the time we take the order we (The account I work for) only have 2 hours to get a driver there...when the closest truck is 80-90 miles out we do not have time to play favorites.

To sum it up.... that dispatcher probably DID have something better for you, but it fell through. It's not beneficial for us to pass you up if you are close...and available.

JD

jdcooper

Expert Expediter
Gingerbreadman...

One more point- If you plan to start refusing the short loads- you will more than likely be remembered as someone that doesn't want to be a team player-

Don't forget-- you're the one that has to make the truck payment

JD

dog

Expert Expediter
This is for JD Cooper, appreciate your input, (agree with Teacel,s earlier comment), you seem to be right on with your responses.
I like the way you explain your viewpoint. Hope you are not a minority in your job. :) :D :) :)

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Putting myself back into a pair of new driver shoes, paging all the drivers in the area with the first one to accept the load receiving it doesn't sound that fair to me. Say driver 1 had been sitting in an area for a couple of days. Driver 2 rolled into same area a few hours ago and checked in. Just a simple phone race could allow driver 2 to beat driver 1 out of the load?
Say you check in with all the agents in an area to let them know you are available to run. They are all looking for a load for you, and one agent finds one. Does the driver then have to inform all the other agents they contacted that morning they are no longer available in the area? Couldn't another agent get upset they were working on a good load for that driver only to have them disappear from the area potentially getting the driver on a bad rapore with that agent?
A lot of times with expedite freight, unlike slow boat tractor trailer stuff, loads are few and far between. Not to knock them but I just want to help put the LEA agent thing into perspective for newbies to show it could be a wee bit confusing. I think Gingerbreadman's steam venting after being there a year might be pointing out some weaknesses or unclear things maybe Landstar could improve upon. Merely pointing out "You have to make the truck payment" is not too good an answer. OK, I have never ran for Landstar but my simple mind is putting together some simple scenarios to consider
-Weave-
:) :)

jdcooper

Expert Expediter
Nice one weave....

Hmmmm.. where to start.

Unfortunately, this business can be cut throat. According to management, I am here to cover loads- and to cover them as soon as possible- not babysit drivers (hence, the owner operator system). I have 2 hours from the time a load is called in to us to get a truck there and get it picked up. From the moment of taking the load until it is picked up is non-stop- the customers are calling every 30 minutes wanting to know where their freight is and when it will be delivered. There is NOT a system that spells out to us how long a driver has been sitting in a particular area and who got there first. No- it is not always fair- it is up to the drivers to band together and use the honor system among themselves. I had a case yesterday where I had freight in Michigan going to Missouri. I pulled up trucks on the internet and there was one that showed up 35 miles out. I called that driver and gave him all the load info- after all that he said there was a truck next to him that apparently has been there for 2 days. He wanted that driver to have 1st pick at the load- he gave me the driver's truck number and I looked him up. He was showing unavailable in the system- and in a different town. I paged him anyway. He took the load. I let him know that his coworker passed it up so he could get the load. I'm sure there are many drivers out there that would have just taken the load... heck, I probably would have.

*On a different note*... That freight was C Unit freight... 12' Cube van.... Both of those drivers were in 24' Trucks. They took a lesser load with lesser pay just to keep moving. Under those circumstances, I try and pay the maximum that I'm allowed to help out the driver. There are ONLY 4 C Unit trucks in our entire fleet. (hint hint...)

I would love it if we were to get rid of Highway Master...but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. It is horrible to work with on our end. I've dispatched from Qualcomm and it's like a Mercedes compared to a Yugo.. (Mercedes being Qualcomm...)

JD

Olko

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Somebody at Landstar must own stock in, or have a relative at HighwayMaster. That is the only reson I can see for them keeping that setup. What would have happened if that driver that was showing up wrong in the system had been the only truck in the area? Would you have had to farm it out?

When we left LEA the first time, we went to work for a much smaller company, and we ran a lot of loads for other expedite companies, including LEA. One thing we always looked for were other LEA trucks, just to find out how things were going for them. We always wondered why we would get LEA loads when they had their own trucks sitting next to us, that had been there for a long time and wanted any load to get them moving.

We were always complaining about the HighwayMaster, it did cost us loads. One time when we were talking to Wes Pace, he was going to show us just how accurate it was, if used properly. He was going to pinpoint our location exactly, well, what do you know, WE were 50+ miles from where we were supposed to be.

One last thing, they don't like for the drivers to mention how bad the HighwayMaster is, I would imagine they really frown on Agents or their employees bad-mouthing it. They do watch these forums, and it was an issue when we went back to them. They tried to censor any comments we might make in the future, because they didn't care for posts we had previously made.

All I started out to do was to say watch out what you say on here, and look where that took me...LOL

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thank you Olko ;-) for showing my myth is reality- I am just to modest to say it myself, but that is the bare bones Landstar truth. If it's a matter of the tracking system the company has being outdated, why not invest a little in fixing it? My encounters tell me the AGENTS do what's best for the AGENTS. Hey, it's worked out good for me.
-Weave-

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
That tracker isn't broke so why fix it????x( Hey Olko if Landstar would replace the unit then what would they be able to blame all the deceit on. Right now they all, including you too Mr. JD-Dispatcher can come back and tell a driver they had that driver 50+ from the pick up point and there was someone closer than that.

You can bet your sweat #@% those pencil pushers at all the companies sit around and read these posts. (May even post under an AKA) If they know your user name and you talk bad about the company, your going to get confronted about it, and THAT IS FACT!!!!! I know a---(lets just leave that alone).......... I don't want to see any one get in any bull #^%* over the forum.

The thing that gets me is that when your doing the right thing and someone bashes you, it shouldn't be a big deal. We all know you can't please all the people all the time. The message I get from the egg heads at those companies that confront thier drivers is that thier not doing the right thing and they are hiding things and lets say telling half truths about the others. (I use this term egg head, because I'm on the air, at EO! but let your imagination run wild)

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there isn't an addendum to all the drivers conctracts in the next year or so saying your not allowed to be on the EO forum. --- Thank god that can't happen because of our rights as people and the freedom of speach.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I was going to let this go, but seeing how Msgr. Rope is still advertising..
"It's up to the drivers to band together and use the honor system.."
Unless, by stroke of luck ALL the (LEA) drivers wind up in the same truckstop or ? in the same town, how in the heck could THEY know who else from the Co. is nearby or how long they have been sitting?
What a crackpot.
-Weave-

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
You are right Teasel. I knew of one guy who lost his contract over things he posted on Joe Roman's board. I don't know if he was just being an SOB or if he was just touting his opinon.

By the way Tony, Thanks for signing the guestbook on our homepage. I love what you wrote..lol:)

Nat Ferner

Expert Expediter
Where to begin......
First of all, I have been with LEA for a little over 3 years.
My 1st six months, give or take a few weeks, were hard on me
due to all lack of knowledge about expediting. I am domiciled
in Indpls. and the way I looked at it, or the way it seemed to
me, was to be loyal to the area I was domiciled in. So I sat at
home waiting and waiting and waiting. Just waiting on a load call that never came. Instead, I had other agents call me for hauls
short and long. I knew that other agents would call me, it never occured to me that just because I`m in the Indpls area, doesn`t necessarily mean that the Indy agent would call me. That alone took
me a few months to figure out. I might also point out that I called several agents each day to let them know I was available. I guess like many other Companies not necessarily Expediting look for young people with 20 years experience. It`s almost impossible to prove your worth that way. At any rate, even when I did prove myself, I still continued calling many agents on a daily basis. I might also add that as of the beginning of this year, I rarely call any of the agents at all. The reason, I have a cell phone I carry with me everywhere. The agents contact me that way. Could this be 1 secret of getting loads?
Which in a round about way brings me to the Highway Master. Yes, in my view it is a disaster. I think some of the agents may look who is in a certain area for a load, then call you on the cell to see if you are available. I don`t believe they looked to see if I was under a load or not. I myself don`t like the system because it`s either slow or inaccurate in updating your location. I do believe I have lost loads due to that. At any rate, I have shared with you my mode of operandi, which works for me. I`m sure many of us have our own systems of what works for us. I`m also sure as time goes on, I`ll find new ways that will help me be even more successful. I would also like to convey to you that this isn`t a gripe note, just a little of what I do to get loads. I might also add, just like everyone else, I also have my slow times with my share of deadheading. If I`m within a few hundred miles of home, I`ll head that way. Come to think of it, even if I`m 500 miles from home I`ll head in that direction,I`d say 40% to 50% of the time I do get a load that way also. Mind you, just because I`m headed in the homeward bound direction, doesn`t mean I`m headed for home. It just means I`m relocating. I won`t stay in one area for more then 24 hours. Unless of course I`m at home. Or, I`m in an area where I know I`ll get a load within 2 days. From time to time I do visit the agents to let them get to know me personally and vice versa.
I never complain to them about others, nor do I complain to them about Mother Landstar. I keep myself clean and presentable as well as my van. There, now you know what I drive...hahaha.
All in all I`m satisfied with LEA, although I do believe things could be much better.
I hope in a small way I may have helped someone especially the newbies get some insight they may try. Then again, maybe it didn`t help anyone. Another trick newbies may try, is to listen to other drivers while they are at a truckstop waiting for that load. You seasoned drivers give them good pointers.
I`d like to thank EO for a great site.
I sure miss the courtesy of the road we once had.

Lureveto

Expert Expediter
Just a short story on LEA. Most of the agents are ok to work for but listen to this. Atlanta called me one day in Mansfield OH and asked me to go to Romeo Mi.to pick up a hot load fo Bluebird bus south of Atlanta. This is a long deadhead to pickup so I was reluctant. They pleaded so I asked about something out of Atl. the next day and they promised me the moon. I did the load and after getting mt I called and got on their board. I sat next to a friend of mine and guess what. Within six hours the other truck got a really good load to Detroit. I called Atl and asked why I wasnt considered and they said the other truck was closer.WE WERE SITTING NEXT TO EACH OTHER FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. When I inquired as to our position on the board they told me they (atlanta) dont have a BOARD. Needless to say I would never haul for the Atlanta Agent again if I was across the street from the pickup. One of the best agents with LEA is Raleigh. Those guys play fair. I may go to LEA again but I will not accept a phone call from Atlanta. Dont think for one minute their isn't a lot of favoritism at LEA. Just pick a couple of good agents and stick with them.

evilspirit

Expert Expediter
I've been with Landstar for about two months now. This is a post for JD Cooper, I'm the driver who was showing unavailable in Ann Arbor whom he loaded. That low paying load set in motion the best week I've had at Landstar, seven loads in six days with a total of 224 miles of deadhead for the week. You never know in this business, but there is a lot of luck involved in being at the right place at the right time. The highway master sucks, and the system need to be improved, but I'm learning how to use whats availible. I've ran LTL's for Inway and have not turned down any load offered, I stay away from Rockford and never bother to call to get on their imaginary board, most of the other Agents I can deal with. Things are looking up, I learned a long time ago bitching don't pay the bills.
}> }>

stoney

Expert Expediter
Hey everyone. I just posted a message on another sight about landstar to let you agaents know I am starting orientation on the 17th of this month with landstar express america to sign on as a B unit driver after being with fed ex for just a tad over a year now. You wont hear me bad mouth fed ex but the reason I am switching is I believe I can do much better with this than with them.
I am not afraid of short runs at all nor do I sit and sit and sit waiting just for the so called mother load. I simply want to run and make money for that is really the bottom line as to the main reason we are in this business in the first place.
So, you agents that are here reading these please remember me when I GET IN THE FIELD AFTER ORIENTAION FOR i will be ready and willing to work immediately. a new driver coming aboard...Larry