Landstar Sprinter Question

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I see very few Landstar Sprinters/vans these days. Do agents not concentrate on keeping them moving?
Talked to a buddy of mine who still runs for them. I think he told me that they were down to 50 or so b units. I know when I was there, they had about 125
b units. Things have gone downhill and continue to go in that direction. The company continues to promote the big truck side of the business more than LEA. They are keeping LEA because it puffs up the companies safety rating. IMO.

Last edited:

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
Those drivers may be grandfather in that have class c. Years ago I tried and Landstar told me class b with hazmat. I say you've got to be kidding with a light laugh. They said no we're not. I told them there's no point to drive a sprinter then.

IMHO if you have to have class b with hazmat at Landstar then drive a str8.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I see very few Landstar Sprinters/vans these days. Do agents not concentrate on keeping them moving?
Talked to a buddy of mine who still runs for them. I think he told me that they were down to 50 or so b units. I know when I was there, they had about 125
b units. Things have gone downhill and continue to go in that direction. The company continues to promote the big truck side of the business more than LEA. They are keeping LEA because it puffs up the companies safety rating. IMO.
I wouldn't blame them to go back to their core business and just not deal with CV's and just contract out any loads that do come thru...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wouldn't blame them to go back to their core business and just not deal with CV's and just contract out any loads that do come thru...

I'm still amazed they started a hotshot division

Lost in Space.
Conway appears to be the smarter guy on the block....they were the first to bail out of Expedite all together...they had a better crystal ball...

Reactions: fastman_1

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They won't do that because they need the safety numbers from that division to inflate the big truck numbers to make them look good. Plus since they are a asset only business they do not have very much overhead

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
They won't do that because they need the safety numbers from that division to inflate the big truck numbers to make them look good. Plus since they are a asset only business they do not have very much overhead
ohhh Like your present carrier?....Low overhead....thats a great advantage over other non asset expedite only carriers...

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
ohhh Like your present carrier?....Low overhead....thats a great advantage over other non asset expedite only carriers...
What I'm saying is Landstar doesn't own anything. Not even the building they have their corporate offices in. They are a $2+ billion dollar company with no assets. They must be doing something right if they are that successful. When I was there they were doing something like 250 million a yr just on LEA.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What I'm saying is Landstar doesn't own anything. Not even the building they have their corporate offices in. They are a $2+ billion dollar company with no assets. They must be doing something right if they are that successful. When I was there they were doing something like 250 million a yr just on LEA.
oh.....a Non asset carrier...But they are very diversified.....not just one service...something we are seeing now in Expedite......Tri state, Bolt, All State to name a few now have truckload divisions as expedite alone is not paying the overhead anymore...

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
[/QUOTE]
They won't do that because they need the safety numbers from that division to inflate the big truck numbers to make them look good. Plus since they are a asset only business they do not have very much overhead[/QUOTE]

To "make them look good"? Each Landstar entity has their own DOT number. LEAM looking good has nothing to do with the other divisions.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They won't do that because they need the safety numbers from that division to inflate the big truck numbers to make them look good. Plus since they are a asset only business they do not have very much overhead[/QUOTE]

To "make them look good"? Each Landstar entity has their own DOT number. LEAM looking good has nothing to do with the other divisions.[/QUOTE

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've always found your license system confusing. Here in Canada a G license (just think general license) lets you drive up to 26,000 lbs as long as it has hydraulic brakes...a DZ endorsement is required for air brakes, and is just a written test...class A (AZ) for any big trucks. No CDL nonsense.

The notion that a commercial drivers license is needed for a non-commercial vehicle seems like nothing but a tax grab to me...unless a standard license is really easy to get over there...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The government doesn't require it some companies do so it's not really a tax grab.
Thin the herd then? HR employees here love to toss any applications below university degree...even if its serving coffee...maybe they really believe there's a difference

I went for the most expensive course when I took my G (25 or so years ago) 40 hours in class theory with 40 hours on road practical including actual defensive driving maneuvers...is that in a class B? what actually is a class B?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The government doesn't require it some companies do so it's not really a tax grab.
Thin the herd then? HR employees here love to toss any applications below university degree...even if its serving coffee...maybe they really believe there's a difference

I went for the most expensive course when I took my G (25 or so years ago) 40 hours in class theory with 40 hours on road practical including actual defensive driving maneuvers...is that in a class B? what actually is a class B?
Class B: Any single vehicle which has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight that does not exceed 4,536 kilograms (10,000 poundS

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Class B: Any single vehicle which has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight that does not exceed 4,536 kilograms (10,000 poundS
Thanks. So like the Canadian DZ endorsement...kinda

Ok so I was confused as usual. Ontario B and C are for full size buses, A is TT...D anything not a bus over 24250 (11,000 kg) needs a D, above an A...Z is air brake endorsement

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes my Ontario D equals a class B and the Z is the air endorsement
I spent almost half a day at a DOT South Dakota office until they contacted Ontario to see if I was in over 26,000 or under 26,000

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes my Ontario D equals a class B and the Z is the air endorsement
I spent almost half a day at a DOT South Dakota office until they contacted Ontario to see if I was in over 26,000 or under 26,000
Class B in Ontario is a full-size bus