landstar drivers only

2pioneers

Seasoned Expediter
Just got an offer for Landstar. Just go on line and pick your own load? Is this for real? What a deal!!! Without a hand slap and a drop in % points.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Did you hear that from a recruiter? Definitely get with some honest Landstar operators. Don't think it works quite like that.

astikhossw

Seasoned Expediter
Sure that is true but from my experience there are never enough loads on there that a D unit can run.Plus most of them or of a low rate they pick up day's in advance and deliver in 4 to 5 days after pick up.For the most part some of them or just loads that if you are in a bad area it can get you to a worst area.Plus most of the recruiters that i know have never driven OTR they are just telling you what some Owner told them.But the Star can be good if you can find a few agents to keep you feed.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't remember the exact numbers now but I believe the contractor gets 62% and the company 38%. The problem with the scenario you paint is the load pays $x but the division that has it gets 38%. Then it's passed to LEAM who also gets 38%. Then it pays to the truck. At least that's how it was once explained to me. If that's true that means you only get about 39% of the original amount. For most loads that makes even the really good ones not so good at all. Also, as already mentioned, most are too big or heavy or both for most straight trucks. That info is a couple of years old anyway so it's subject to both fading memory as well as company policy changes. Good luck.

Off topic, do you ever see Andy Griffith around town?

2pioneers

Seasoned Expediter
HA! It is unreal how this town centers around the Andy Griffith show. Come on up sometime. There really is a working Snappy Lunch Diner and a Floyds Barber Shop. Mt. Airy is packed with people on the week-end. No Andy but a lot of Barny look alikes.

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
I dont know about that... the board has been very good to me I get fully 25 percent of my loads off the board...takes some work but most loads I take are paying at or over current expedite rates. Course I can put 27500 on my d unit which helps alot. You are incorrect about the double dipping on the loads by both brokers that ended in feb. of this year. Really like dealing with the sister company agents, very professional, but just like everything you need to learn the system. Been with the fed.... landstar is by far the best option for a solo driver. I would set fire to my truck before i went back to the purple ****ants.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's good that it doesn't double pay before going to the truck. As I said, my information was a couple of years old. Anyone with a unit that can haul a lot of weight could do well, as you've proven.