Kidney Stones- Had Yours Yet

zorry

Veteran Expediter
In another thread, Dakota mentioned a weekend visit to the ER related to Kidney Stones.

It's a common issue with long distance drivers. Also hereditary.

It got me wondering how many here have had them. Also a place to offer advice to avoid them.

My case was extreme. 29 surgeries to remove them through various methods. Countless others passed.
They ran my life to the degree that I would save my vacation time for my November Stones.
I made life decisions based on having future stones.
I finally got into a research group at The University Of Chicago that has me on medication and diet to remove the risk.
Only one surgery in last ten years.

So, any stories or advice, put them here to help others.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I'm 43 and this was a first for me, I've heard the horrors and have to say it's not fun, not one bit

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Sad to say, if you've had one, you'll have more.

If you pass one, try to catch it. A coffee filter works fine.
Your urologist can have it analyzed.
It will be Calcium, Oxalate, or Uric Acid.
Knowing what you have helps determine preventative treatment.

If you have Uric Acid, study up on gout.
Painful like the stone, but it doesn't come and go.
Also hits various parts of the body. Usually big toe, foot, ankle, or any other major joint. Recently had it in the elbow.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Just read where Jeff Bezos, Amazon founder, was airlifted off a cruise ship by a foreign navy helicopter, to an island where his private jet was to be flown to the US to be treated for a kidney stone.

Maybe Obamacare does work.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Gout used to be my biggest issue, I had to make diet and lifestyle adjustments and after removing BEER, BEEF, BEANS, Ive got mine under control and dont have attacks, In my 20s I had Gout horribly, I drank beer and ate steaks like anyone did, I found a Dr who understood the process and Yes giving up BEER SUCKS...But life is worth living if thats what it takes so be it....Gout is Heriditeary....Never had a Kidney Stone....hopefully my lifestyle changes solve that, I also try and drink considerable amounts of water keeping my Uric Acid levels as low as possible....Green Tea is another good Flush for your Urological tract...

I can honestly say I have not had an attack of Gout for many years after quitting the beer.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Had one in 2002. The nurse at the ER told me that she'd had kidney stones as well as having given birth. She advised me that as a mere and lowly male, the pain of kidney stones was as close as I would ever come to that of childbirth :eek::D .

That said, whatever she gave me for the pain? Wheee :cool:

Sent from my SCH-I110 using EO Forums mobile app

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
YES ! And that's all I'm going to say about that... Well, I do have one left from a few years ago when I had 3 really big ones that would never pass.

One time I was making my drop and I had one moving. That little travel from kidney to bladder is where it bends me over. Anyway, Once I got unloaded and parked, I walked a mile, 12 feet at a time, rolled around on the bed, this went on for a few hours until it reached the bladder. No pain meds, fore I am a Mannly Man. ha! I wanted to cry like a baby... couldn't even do that.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Is your Dr OK with having one left in you ?
I knew a guy that had on attach to the wall of the kidney. It continued to grow until they had to remove the kidney.

Thats why I had so many of mine crushed.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is your Dr OK with having one left in you ?
I knew a guy that had on attach to the wall of the kidney. It continued to grow until they had to remove the kidney.

Thats why I had so many of mine crushed.

Yep he knows, he wanted to leave it in. It was to small to do anything with. Have it checked yearly, still there still small.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I was told to avoid Soda because if the caffeine content.
If you must dink Soda, clear ( 7 Up, Sprite,Sierra Mist) are the best choices.