Keeping Cool

DooWop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Have learned an awful lot from this forum. I think that I have finally figured out how to stay warm in the winter in a cargo van, without excessive idling but now comes the rest of the story. Question: In summer what do you do to keep cool in a van during a layover so you can sleep without a) the idle police flagging you, or (b)suffocating to death in a locked up van? Obviously to be safe you have to keep the windows and doors locked. However to get the necessary rest for safe operation the van has to be cool enough to sleep in. What do expediter's do? Sure would hate to be in Atlanta or Shreveport in August trying to sleep in a van with no AC. Also, if you have a gas powered van as opposed to a diesel, isn't it dangerous to the occupant to idle the engine, and isn't it also bad for the gas engine to idle for long lengths of time? (Assuming that is the only way to run AC to cool the van). Would appreciate serious replies as to solving this problem.

Regards

DooWop

twodogsdaddy

Expert Expediter
Hi Checkout Espar who advertise on this sight. They have a 12 volt airconditioner that is run on auxiliary batteries. If you can get to the Expo. They along with 59 other vendors will be there. Also depending on your van some companies have a small generator that is gasoline powered or propane powered that fits underneath the van. So far I haven't been able to find a diesel one.

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
The other day I saw a slick setup using a Reese reciever, the generator mounted on the hitch and swung out of the way when gaining acess to back of van. The owner said Dan's Trailer at exit 92 Indiana toll road, Elkhart In. put his setup together. He then mounted an RV roof A/C unit were the vent used to be. This took care of cooling and heating. Pretty cool setup. Cost was approx. 4700.00 good luck and keep us posted if you find some thing else that works.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
TruckGen has a 3.5 unit that installs under a van where the spare tire is. Not sure on price but they are installing alot of them on Sprinters when I was there. I believe they will have a booth at the Expo.
Davekc

mikecop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Last year when I was at Espar of Michigan for work on my Rigmaster generator, Ray Lawrence, owner, showed me the 12 volt rooftop airconditioner mentioned in the other post. It is run by two golfcart type deepcycle batteries, and will run for up to 15 hrs. Ray and his technician, Matt, are good guys--straight foward and honest. You can reach him at 800-837-3900

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I agree with Mike about Espar of Michigan. They are also giving away a Espar Heater + Installation at the Expedite Expo in Woodhaven next week. A cool (well, warm) prize indeed.

You can reach Ray here too:
https://www.expeditersonline.com/sub/espar/index.html

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------