Just getting started

BeLuRow

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My husband and I just bought a Ford Cargo Van and he signed on with PantherII. I have read a few of the postings on this sight and am beginning to worry as to whether we made the right decision. He just started about 3 weeks ago, and has not yet gotten a pay check. I have gone through a lot of what money we had in the bank to keep him on the road, but the loads have not been very good. I sure would appreciate any input that anyone out there has. He is considering a different company at this point, and I also was wondering if it would profitable to try to be completely independent and get loads from broker on our own.

Dkalasz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I dont have any inside info on panther itself but in this industry you have to get on the good side of the dispatchers to get the really good loads.. no matter what the company says there is favortism and you best just work with it..

as far as going to another company the way the market is you will probably have the same thing starting out there..

going independant is the way to go IF you have contacts that you can use to keep you loaded. IF you have the money to wait 30-120 days for your pay.

also as an independant you will need to aquire all your own operating authorities. which in itself is not a bad thing but you really should get some experience in the industry before you try it

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I would give it more than 3 weeks.It probably takes about 6 months before you really know how the company operates and there policies.Such as when and where to layover,the main traffic lanes ,the various dispatchers etc.Sad to say as the previous post said favortism exists,but sometimes when you do a favor it gets remembered. I don!t run for Panther and have heard both positive and negative comments about the company but that is true for all of them. Have patience,usually things pick up quite a bit during the 3rd and 4th quarter. Panther is one of the major players in this industry so you will probably see a upswing soon,also as far as running totally independent,if your bank wants to loan you a million or so up front,do it,otherwise it will be a nightmare. Having one vehicle it will always be in the wrong place should a shipper call you,been there and done that.. Good Luck

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I've done this thing for ten years now, and I'll tell you and any one else out there,---when you work for the big name companies, you are only making them RICH. Not everyone has the drive ,ambition, and knowledge to run indepedently. Know matter who you lease on with, they all have to many drives and not enough work. If it was up to them, they would put 2 or 3 drives at every customers door step.

I went independent 8 years age and I'm still holding my own. As a matter of fact I've just been offered a business proposal with one of the companies I do deliveries for, so I'm looking for 2 independent contractors to run deliveries for myself. I just posted a driver wanted ad in the classified section. check it out, the title reads - Home every day.

ExFedEx

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
Teacel you are so right about making the companies rich, and it's not just big companies, it's whoever is in charge that gets to do the billing. ASHLAND CHEMICAL!!! PPG!!! OWENS BROCKWAY!!! CHYSLER!!! Big nationwide accounts for FXCC. What do the drivers get paid? NADA!!! $54.00!! But they are a multi-million dollar account for the company. So the driver runs his butt off for no money, well, break even, but "It's all for the good of the comapny. Can't we all just get along?" My paycheck is about my hard work, my loyalty, my dedication, and then I get my A HZ load for $49.00. WOW!! Thank you Mr. Company for your discounted freight, everyday! Just keep sending me baseball caps so I can be in fashion at the Flying J.

I wish people would check out this site before they buy a vehicle, sign a contract, and hit the road. Oh well, how else do you know about this site until you are already in the biz. Good luck; I have heard good things about Panther in the past, but for the last year thay seem to have fallen like everyone else.

Eric - The EX FED-EX

drat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
running independent

how long have you been running independent? i've looked into becoming an independent and have a couple questions. i appreciate it if you could answer them for me.
1. i've heard that it takes weeks or even months to get paid for freight you haul being independent, is that true?
2. i've also heard companies don't like dealing with independents sometimes, is that right?
3. do companies pay independents as good as they would a big company like fedex or tristate?
4. is it hard to find loads for your van or truck?

thanks for any info you can provide. i've heard so many bad things about running independent. but then, i've heard even more bad things about these companies lately. thanks again.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: running independent

In some cases it does take weeks to get paid, but if you work for someone, you can work it out to get paid every week, as I did

It is also true about the biggies not liking to deal with an independent, but that is where your real work is done, you have to sell yourself to that company and make them want to deal with you and only you.

The companyies pay anywhere from $1.10 to $1.50 a mile. Is this not good?

To find loads is all up to you, but you have to be a very sharp person and don't take NO as the final answer, learn people skills, and learn how to sell yourself and you won't have a problem.

Good luck

Thanks, Tony
[email protected];-)

Jim

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RE: running independent

In view of the horrible damage done to the North American economy by the terrorist attacks of september 11th, I would be very carefull about what you do. The next six months will be quite shakey in all parts of the economy, with many companies all ready starting to lay off thousands of staff in hotels, restaurants, theme parks like Disney, and everyone of those places will not be needing materials brought to them on a just-in-time basis. This is a bad time to be getting into this business, especially when you don't have much of a cushion in your bank account.

Being an independant is even worse, all it takes is two or three accounts who can't/won't pay you, and you are out of business, and still obligated to pay for your debts, even though you have no money. Can you spell bankruptcy? Jim Bunting.