Just Another Greenhorn :)

SthrnGrl

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi everyone, I just recently found this site and whew! lots of good info! I am not a trucker, but I am wanting to get into trucking, and I am kinda in the research stage right now. I have a question for yall tho. Does one have to go thru the big rig training to get into Expediting? Like I said, I know just enough to be dangerous right now, lol. And are there any Expediting companies in the South? I live in Jackson, MS. Oh, and I do not have a CDL, I know that is a requirement.

Thanks for any info!

atomic

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
this is not the time to get into this bussines i went out and a bought a D uint in oct signed on with fedex cc and lost it all in feb. i made no money and was in the best express center in the U.S. N.Y.C. what ever you do dont belive anything the recuters tell you and be very carefull there are so many people losing everything good luck michael

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
All you need is a class B license but I would recommend you get some experience by driving a local bus or something that requires a class B and air brakes endorsement. After a a little while and you decide you like driving, drive for someone else to see if its for you. You might want to find something local as your home everynight. If you really want to get out and drive, and don't mind being gone for a few weeks at a time, jump on with a big carrier and get your class A. Usually they have a training program and as long as you stay with them for a year or so, you won't have to pay back the money they spent on your training. I switched from tractor/trailor to expiditing last october and already concidering going back. Not enough business to make good money.
Good luck.
Randy

Sierra

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I agree with the previous posting, now is not the time to get into the business, the economy is to shakey. Like the other postings I think you need to get some experience in moving freight befor you try expediting. A major portion of the frieght we move is automotive, and as the network news has been reporting the automotive manufacturing industry is in a major slow down. Research, Research, Research is the best advice anyone can give you, expecially if you plan on investing in equipment and expediting requires the purchase of a truck if you plan on making the good profit. Expediting is not a fast way to riches. You do sit alot and if your expenses are low that factor of the business will not kill you financially. If you would like more specific information please feel free to e-mail me.
Sierra
[email protected]

SthrnGrl

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey yall, thanks for all the good advice. I will certainly take it to heart. I am sad to hear that some of you are having trouble. I take it that it is more a result of our slow economy right now than actual need? Hopefully things will get better. At least the market is going back up. Maybe we will all pull out of this soon. Meanwhile I guess I will check out the big rigs and just drive for awhile. I think it sounds like a great job!

Thanks again everybody!
SthrnGrl

froggybutton

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You are right, this is possibly the best source of info for researching the expiditing business. After months of research and talking to other drivers we took the plunge last August. We followed everyone's advise and did NOT buy a truck, there are too many o/o with trucks available for you to drive. You need the time driving for someone else to learn the business, your freight lanes, how and when to accept or turn down a load. If you interview owners and the pay packages, check references by talking to drivers who drive for them you can and should make a well informed decision. If you watch you money during busy season take your time off during slower season you can make it.
I can not for the life of me figure out why so many expiditers
check into motels when they are set up with liiving quarters in the truck, now vans I can understand, but to each his own. If you
are interested keep checking the forum get your CDL find a good honest o/o, drive their truck, learn the business from the inside out and get a big nest egg to fall back on b/4 you consider buying a truck. Personally I don't know if we will ever buy a truck of our own, we have wonderful o/o's and a great
pay arrangement and could not be happier even in the slow time, when we have to watch extra spending. Good luck in whatever you do and may God Bless all of us out here trying to make an honest
living.

Goosy

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Dear Greenhorn,

It is not necessarily required to obtain a CDL to expedite. If you operate a vehicle that is under 26,000 GVW and do not intend to haul hazardous materials, it is not required. Some expediting companies do require a CDL regardless of the type of truck you drive, some also require a haz. mat. endorsement on your license even if you drive a cargo van. But, that is not "all" expediting companies. I can not help you because our company is in Cleveland, Ohio but, I would suggest that you do some more checking around before you subject yourself to all of the CDL nonsence. I am a Recruiter/Safety & Compliance Director for One Way Express, Inc. If I can help you by answering questions I would be happy to help in any way that I can.

Good Luck
Stacey

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I find it amazing that a Safety and Compliance director can refer to the CDL requirements as nonsense. If I was in charge of safety at any type of trucking company I would want my drivers to have as much knowledge of safe driving techniques plus be able to pass all tests involved to obtain a CDL.It is not that difficult but does require a commitment on the part of a driver.
If a driver does not want to make this commitment he or she should not be doing the type of driving that expediting requirs,by that I mean the irregular hours,all night runs etc..

SthrnGrl

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hey yall! I have had the worst time with my computer lately - the hard drive went down and I have just now gotten it back. ugh

Thanks Froggybutton, that was some good advice. I was kinda leaning in that direction too. I would really have to drive for someone else, at first anyway. And I would want a truck with a sleeper to spare the expense of a hotel. I am still doing a lot of research now, and I really appreciate everyone's helpful advice.

Hi Goosey! (this is Tina, I emailed you once before my computer got sick) You know I need all the help I can get, lol.

And I agree about the safety, Rich. I think what Goosey was saying is that some companies may not require a CDL, but I am sure would still train you on their equipment. After all, it would be their expense otherwise.

If any of you guys know anything about expediting in the south, or any companies and point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. The closest I have seen so far is San Antonio, and if they do not assign the truck (which is what I imagine), that would be an awfully long trip for me.

I am not opposed to getting my CDL at all. I know of a school I want to use that is accredited, and I think the experience would be good, but I can't fund it myself. If I had $5000 right now, I would be doing great! (LOL) :)

Good luck to yall!
SthrnGrl

SthrnGrl

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Lawrence,

That's what I am hoping! It will have to be that way 'cause this girl does not have any $5000, LOL! Actually, after talking to the school's recruiter about it, I am pretty sure I can work something out. I will have that done on the front end, tho, if I can.

It does not really make sense to me that a company would hire you before you pass the school, but that is what I am told is a possibility. I think it is a reputable school, but I am certainly doing my homework, and I am trying to find a good company to talk to before I go. We'll see.

Thanks! :)
SthrnGrl