Canada Just a reminder about cargo vans coming in to Ontario, Canada

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have read a few recent threads about potential cargo vanners trying all the angles to come in under the 10001 lbs GVWR so they don't have to log and scale, and thought I would throw out this friendly reminder that if you plan on coming into Ontario that the limit here is 4500kg or 9920 lbs.

That means that the 3500 sprinter, or any dual rear wheeled cube van for that matter will have to log and scale if coming here. I don't know if the MTO are actually chasing any of you down or not if you don't scale, but I do see the larger 15-17 footers (probably 12000 pounders) dual rear wheel cubes in the scalehouse on a regular basis.

Just a friendly reminder before you make that purchase in case your carrier requires you to cross the border.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Yes , and there are other differences . Canada requires a 36 hour restart and copies of logs for the past 14 days . The reason for that is a 24 hour break is required every 14 days . A written DVIR which can be either pre or pst trip must be done within the past 24 hours . A posttrip DVIR you did a couple of days ago before going off duty won't get it .
They also require the license plate number of your truck to be written on your daily log .

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes, those differences are worth a reminder as well.

I just wanted to remind everyone of the GVWR differences since I have been reading of late of people thinking of purchasing either a 9990 GVWR sprinter 3500 or even a 10000 lb GM/Ford and thinking that they are good to go.

Apparently there are a few other states that are below the 10000 lb threshold as well but I have no knowledge of what they are enforcing.

There was a move afoot to standardize everything at the 4500kg 9920 lb limit for all states and provinces for some time now but don't know how much progress that is making.

Basically, they want to make it so that if you have a DRW vehicle, you are required to log and scale.