June 2015 Locations & Logic

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Many people on EO and out otr when they see I carry the 2 Honda Generators, ask "WHY do I have 2 Gens to run the AC?" Well, everything I read in Manuals and Online said I needed a min. of 3500 Watts (as it cycles, so that it doesn't bottom out) to run the 13,500K BTU AC. Then people on EO AND other otr Drivers said ALL I NEED is a "Hard Start Capacitor" and I won't need a second Generator. AWESOME, Great! Less Gas, Maintenance, Oil Changes, Less weight on the rear swing out! Super!
Today, here, is the first I'm hearing "not 100% certain" and so I'm beginning to doubt the reason why I should go to the expense and hassle of wiring one on. So this Capacitor MAY NOT enable me to only be able to run one single 2000 watt Generator? Therefore I question purchasing one. LOVE knowledge and appreciate others personal shared experience very much!
You could think of it as buying a lottery ticket? If it works you win if it don't you end up with a great capacitor....

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
Many people on EO and out otr when they see I carry the 2 Honda Generators, ask "WHY do I have 2 Gens to run the AC?" Well, everything I read in Manuals and Online said I needed a min. of 3500 Watts (as it cycles, so that it doesn't bottom out) to run the 13,500K BTU AC. Then people on EO AND other otr Drivers said ALL I NEED is a "Hard Start Capacitor" and I won't need a second Generator. AWESOME, Great! Less Gas, Maintenance, Oil Changes, Less weight on the rear swing out! Super!
Today, here, is the first I'm hearing "not 100% certain" and so I'm beginning to doubt the reason why I should go to the expense and hassle of wiring one on. So this Capacitor MAY NOT enable me to only be able to run one single 2000 watt Generator? Therefore I question purchasing one. LOVE knowledge and appreciate others personal shared experience very much!
I would still get the modification. Even if (an unlikely "if" imho) it doesn't allow single gen operation, it would relieve stress on the system during the compressor cycle. I will be sure to report back when I install mine but that is still about a month before I get home.

BTW, did you ever try it with just one?

Reactions: vandriver2

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner

I use a basic 5,000 BTU & a Honda eu2000 I was napping under the blankets today in Alabama

Reactions: vandriver2

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
11412293_912341865470969_2165483945588014823_n.jpg

,,,,,,,,:p

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would still get the modification. Even if (an unlikely "if" imho) it doesn't allow single gen operation, it would relieve stress on the system during the compressor cycle. I will be sure to report back when I install mine but that is still about a month before I get home.

BTW, did you ever try it with just one?
Yes, and she shuts down. Dang. Expected, but hopeful.
I do hear you.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use a basic 5,000 BTU & a Honda eu2000 I was napping under the blankets today in Alabama
Nice! Back in '11, I was advised when setting everything up on my Sprinter to buy more than an 11K BTU for the Deep South temps. So I did.
Coming from driving a Freightliner Cascadia Tractor, I was spoiled. I wanted all I had if I could figure out how.