July 2015 Where ya at? Where ya going?

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
It's the first time I've hit that. When I bought the van the former owner was getting 13. I tuned it up and changed to K&N air filter and it jumped to 15. This 22 was a test at 63Mph.
My 2010 E350 w 5.4 is due for tune up and getting the K & N filter soon. Also have Nokian tires. (The better tires have added .5 to 1 mpg). I get 15 to 16.5, may try the 63 mph if I get a run where I won't get ran over.

Reactions: fastman_1

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My 2010 E350 w 5.4 is due for tune up and getting the K & N filter soon. Also have Nokian tires. (The better tires have added .5 to 1 mpg). I get 15 to 16.5, may try the 63 mph if I get a run where I won't get ran over.
That was a run across the Ohio Turnpike.

Windsor

Veteran Expediter
You can't expect your dispatcher to be on the computer 24/7. No one can live on the load boards 24 hours a day, they will get burned out. Some of my drivers expect me to be here on Saturday and Sunday after working 12 hours a day 5 days a week. I have to remind them that I have a life just like they have a life. Drivers get to hang out all day doing fun stuff while waiting for their phone to ring. Working in operations is a lot of work and answering the phones 12 hours a day dealing with all of the different driver stories and brokers can be mentally taxing. If I was in Murray's place, I would have husband dispatching for 12 hours and then wife dispatching for 12 hours. Everyone needs down time, even dispatchers!
Baby!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You can't expect your dispatcher to be on the computer 24/7. No one can live on the load boards 24 hours a day, they will get burned out. Some of my drivers expect me to be here on Saturday and Sunday after working 12 hours a day 5 days a week. I have to remind them that I have a life just like they have a life. Drivers get to hang out all day doing fun stuff while waiting for their phone to ring. Working in operations is a lot of work and answering the phones 12 hours a day dealing with all of the different driver stories and brokers can be mentally taxing. If I was in Murray's place, I would have husband dispatching for 12 hours and then wife dispatching for 12 hours. Everyone needs down time, even dispatchers!

I think people expect their company to be searching 24/7, not just one person. If a dispatcher wants all of the fun a driver gets to have then they should sign up. Instead of being on duty 12 hours a day for 5 days a week they can switch to all day every day,not see their families every night, and deal with the other headaches on the road. What was that about mentally taxing? :)