JRoman.com

Beaker

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Anyone been to [link:www.jroman.com/wwwboard/index.html|Joe Roman's] web-site lately? Drivers are out of control and about ready to kill each other. It's a shame.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-00 AT 02:51AM (GMT)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-15-00 AT 01:58 AM (GMT)[/font]

Beaker,

Not knowing you it is hard to judge, but because they are upset and fed up with their current situation why are they "out of control"?

Most of the people on that board, as well as on this site, are hardworking, honest people trying to make a honest dollar.

For most it isn't like they can just quit their jobs and start working tommorrow at McDonalds. They're entire lives are built around that truck making a profit. Most have their families, houses and future built around that investment of nearly $100,000 that they are driving.

Most were promised when they leased on to their carrier that they leased to. That company would provide, for an unGodly percentage, Freight to haul and the means and support to get the job done. Most owners and drivers I know are fullfilling their end, accepting loads they know they will barely break even on, suffering the days of boredom and depression sitting at a truckstop waiting, fighting the heat, cold and urge just to go home and see their families that they miss very much. Just to be "dissed" by a college student playing dispatcher (who would be lucky to point out a truck 4 out of 5 times.)

And what do they get for their efforts? Freight being outsourced to other companies to give the carrier a higher profit margin, empty promises that are never fullfilled, Being treated like a surf or slave when they should be on an even level as an independant business person. When you give someone nearly a third of the revenue that you the driver create and receive nothing but threats and lies in return it gets discouraging! (not to mention wathing someone else grow wealthy while you struggle to eat. That gets old too)

These men and women you refer to as "Out of control" are just tired and scared. Tired of being lied to, and scared that they will lose everything they own so that the carrier they are leased to can add an addition to the clubhouse of their private golf course. (which you will never see the inside of unless you take a job there as a busboy or caddy)

I wonder why aren't you upset my dear Beaker. Are you a driver?, o/o? or a suit trying to cause more disinformation?

http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/User_files/38f81f3144bee26a.jpg

Jim

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well said Bill. The only thing I can add is this. The expedite business is not for the faint of heart. If there is one thing I would say to those looking to get in, it is this. If you have all ways been a employee for someone else, you will have to make a big mental switch if you are to survive out here on the road. My point is this: As a independant owner/operator, the only one who will look out for you, is you!!

On the subject of dispatchers: I think the system I work under is the best. My company does not have qualcomm, we use pagers, and a 1 888 phone call-in. I talk to the office for every job, and I am recognised by every dispatcher, by my voice. If there are special instuctions, or a change of plans, it is all ways done in a professional manner. Most of our dispatchers have been trained in our office, to use our systems, and did not work in this business before. They are paid well, and the turn over is not unusual. The best ones are those that have been out on the road as O/O's. They really know the score, and can make your day with their sense of humour. Yes ,Mike Bagwell, I mean you!!!

Jim Bunting...

Retread

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
:eek: Check out Joes forum now. Joe has been busy cleaning house as of today (extensive housecleaning).

Beaker

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Wild Bill,

All I did was mention an observation. How dare you give me a tongue lashing and become so suspicious of me because of it. Where did I make any accusations that they didn't have cause to act the way they did? When I said it was a shame, I meant it. I hate to see things go on like that. I made mention of it only because I care about this situation.

Please put down your sword...No rocks have been thrown.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
If I offended you I am sorry. It sounded to me like more of this "disinformation" being spread out here. If I was wrong I am sorry.

Beaker

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thank you for the apology. I agree that someone probably needed to see what you wrote (and did so eloquently).