It's just June.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My teammate (John) was lamenting how the business has changed, not for the good, over his years here. Yup, in only a little over 2 years I have already seen it.

But, NEVER more evident than at today's pickup where the Sprinter driver that arrived right after me did not understand one word of English. He just held out his smart phone to shipper and pointed to it .

Sent from my XT1635-01 using EO Forums mobile app
My response as a shipper: no speak English, no freight for you.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My teammate (John) was lamenting how the business has changed, not for the good, over his years here. Yup, in only a little over 2 years I have already seen it.

But, NEVER more evident than at today's pickup where the Sprinter driver that arrived right after me did not understand one word of English. He just held out his smart phone to shipper and pointed to it .

Do you really think these ding dongs in the shipping department care.

I don't.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I'm sure that they may care but carrier selection is above their pay grade.

It just bothers me that, whether Sprinter or 18 wheeler, we are professional drivers and it diminishes our profession and us that many brokers feel a trained monkey can do what we do.

#bitemebrokers

I look forward to the day when State Cops pull some of the guys and impound their vans AND loads. How do you get a license if you can't understand ANY English???

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well it looks like 1 of 3 things. Nothing is going on today or everyone's already home or everyone's working?
Waiting on a proper german Hepu water pump at home. It gave me 3 months notice, but after yesterday it started leaking again and I noticed I could flop the shaft around by hand

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most countries, the USA included, allow foreigners to drive on their back-home licenses for 6-12 months. If the license isn't in English, those folks doing so in the US must carry a translation document, such as the International Driver's Permit. That's just another way our friends in the cubes run under the radar. Those fellas stay for only six months at a time, then go home rich as sin. Rinse and repeat, unless they've made too much of a mess of themselves over here.

Reactions: jcochristoph

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
IDK if you'd get away with it, Broke. Ottawa is pretty close to the border; these guys are banking on information traveling much more slowly from Kiev/Moscow/wherever

Reactions: jcochristoph

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
My father said they had FedEx CC drivers show up not able to speak English either...its pathetic, and the problem is it's not even a spanish or French thing, it's usually Pashtu or Hindi or even Russian.

Btw did Noblesville, IN to Livonia, MI delivered Wed, and loaded Romulus, MI yesterday evening for Newton, NC.

Sent from my SM-G950U using EO Forums mobile app

Hummer53

Veteran Expediter
Driver

Yikes. Not the Americans Dream my Dad was looking for. 1st was to learn English and than became a citizen. My Dad raised 5 American children after spending years in a German work camp. You just never know what someone has been thru.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Idk, I get it. But also can relate to the driver on both sides.
Once I had a pick up in Quebec Canada. Could not find a single person who spoke english at the plant. Extremely frustrating.

I guess they could have said, no speak French, no freight for you.
But I'm glad they didn't. Just a guy trying to make a living ;)

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Long day yesterday delivering to Seneca, SC.

After leaving plant, passed a 5 miles backup. Thought I was lucky I was going the opposite direction until I reached the end of the road to find a accident at the intersection. Traffic was being routed in the direction I came from. Knowing about the long backup and no rush to go anywhere I waited.

A helicopter came and landed in the street. That was kind of neat to see, but also meant the accident was pretty serious. After it left, we were directed to turn around, which turned into a lot of frustration as GPS was all confused and of little help. Finally made my way out of that mess and now in Duncan SC.

One positive is, I was able to fill up diesel for $2.02 a gallon.
I filled the van with every drop I could at that price

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not sure if I'm waiting in the right place, Jackson, TN... Last time when I sat here was in May 1999 and I missed a load because the QC went off just a minute before they sent me the load offer... Yet nobody paged me (no cellphone at that time)...

Reactions: ntimevan
Status
Not open for further replies.