It's been real folks!

Frank

Expert Expediter
I have been expediting now for just over three months. I have a new Savana Gmc cargo van that had just over 500 miles on it when I started. At this moment I now have just over 26,000 miles on it and have grossed a whopping 7,000. Sad isn't it. I now have to go get a big truck again and play catch up with my bills. I'll just relegate the Van to family use I guess. I definitly had fun. Ever heard the term "To good to be true" ? thats me and I mean that in a nice way to. They did keep me busy but it is the deadheading that killed me. Looks like Detroit to Chicago and back is on my agenda now. You folks have a good one.
Signing out for now. Frank Betts. ;-)

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
HI Frank,
I'm sure you know that three months isn't really enough time to evaluate a new career move. Good things take time. "Yha I know you have bills and all", but you knew going into this career move it wouldn't be easy. Most of the advice people give on the site is to have atleast three months of backup money to get you by. I do admit the $7000 in the last three months could have been better. ,but alot of things play a part in the money and the runs you get.

Only you can control the deadhead miles. There is always going to be some deadheading involved, but you may need to learn the tricks of the trade. Sometimes the company that you work for will pay deadhead miles or a part of them, depending where it is they send you. Then to maybe you could've repositioned yourself and relocated to a better area, once you learn the busyest lanes it is easier to cut down on the deadheading.

Only you know what is best for you, and you have to do that. Sorry to here things didn't work out with the van, but at least you'll still be in the tranportation feild and going back to your big truck. Hope you keep coming back to the site and giving us your help, and sharing some of your experiences with us. Good Luck!

Xpediter

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Frank

Was someone from dispatch in your passenger seat with a loaded gun to your head or you just plain stupid? I guesstimate that you were running around for something like .25 per mile? You didnt see this coming? You need to take a long look in the mirror and see how Franky runs his business. some drivers need to pull your heads outa your a-- and run your own business and stop running it like a sunday school.
when you start driving your large car again you'll run into the same problem, if you can't say NO to the sweet little dispatcher on the other end of the phone from time to to time you'll be headed in the same direcrtion.

my 2 cents.

Xpediter

lighting

Expert Expediter
frank sorry it didnt work out for you. i expedited for 2 companies for almost 3 yrs, my opinion there all the same.i was ready to park my straight truck & go back to big rig. i got lucky and found a local company that could use me on a dedicated run every day 5 days a week home every day,i hope it lasted a long time . before i go back to one of the big compaines,ill do like you and get back in tractor trailer

GroundHawk

Expert Expediter
Frank this is a tough biz,you got to be tough.You got to cross all the tees and dot the I's. I have my own authority and run a van a older one at that and I started on zero. I got on the phone and knock on the doors. I refuse to run under a 1.00 a mile. I'm not where I should be but it is working.Tony is a good guy to listen to he knows how to do it. Hope this will help. Hawk

Gypsy

Expert Expediter
Yea Frank, sounds like my story too. I've been with TST for 3 months now. Grossed alittle better $9300. 25,000 miles on truck. Like a dumbass I go and buy a new 2002 Ford Econoline 350, extended van. No side or rear windows, AC, captains chair seats, power windows, power remote door locks, two batteries with 1750 watt inverter, XM radio, cruise controll, tilt wheel, cargo option (its like a bedliner for a pickup on the sides and top of cargo area), bulkhead (I removed it so I could recline the seats), rear heater, refrigerator. All the toys and whistles. $28,000.
Two weeks ago I sat in Ann Arbor, MI. four 4 days. I was #1. Two jobs that week. This week sat for 3 days in Lima,OH. #2 then #1.Only one job for the week. Called dispatch and bitched. Did no good so I went home. I'm sick of this job. For the hardships we put up with
we should be paid well.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If there was just some way to get the word out to people considering getting into this business BEFORE they go out and buy new trucks. Every year there are a number of people on the brink of loosing a lot of money because they listened to the recruiters or over inflated stories by a few drivers. The newby goes out and buys a new truck and then sits and waits for the money to pour in. That is not the way it is done. You must seperate the truth from fiction. Talk to a lot of drivers; read the archives on this web site; try driving for someone else to see if you really like this type of work; and buy a USED truck.

Maybe this will help. When interviewing with a company, and they start talking about money, miles and return loads - ask them to back up what they are saying by having it in writitng!!! If they are not willing to put it in writing - then it is not true. Drivers also need to realize that when they start hearing the words like potential (as in "you have the potential of earning $$$$ per month") that this is nothing more than wishful thinking. If they tell you that drivers earn up to $3,000 per week - that means that you can earn from $0.00 to $3,000 per week and probably a lot closer to $0.00.

Next year there will be a new crop of recruits - of which some will be successful but most will have dashed dreams and big debts.

Drive Safe.

paperback1

Expert Expediter
GYPSY, I HAVE A COUPLE TRUCKS AT TST, LIMA IS THE WORST PLACE TO GO. IF YOU EVER TAKE A LOAD THERE MAKE SURE THEY MOVE YOU OUT OF THERE AS SOON AS YOU GET EMPTY, INDY IS A GOOD PLACE. MY TRUCKS NEVER GO TO LIMA ANYMORE UNLESS THEY HAVE A LOAD LINED UP FOR ME IN KY,IN,IL, OR MI, AND THEY MUST PAY ALL MILES OR I JUST WON'T TAKE IT, AND MY DRIVERS KNOW THIS. DON'T SIT FOR MORE THAN 12 HRS IF THEY WONT MOVE YOU, MOVE YOURSELF.