Is truck regulated by Fed Surface Trans Brd?

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Question;
Regarding our TX county's "Business Personal Property Rendition of Taxable Property", it states; "If your property is regulated by the....federal Surface Transportation Board (STB), ...you are not required to file this rendition" and "The cheif appraiser may request a copy of the annual regulatory report"?

I have determined so far the STB is a division of the US DOT;

Department of Transportation | How-to Guides for running your business from Business.com

and the STB primarily regulates the rail industry, but also states "The agency has jurisdiction over..... ; certain trucking company, moving van,...";

http://www.stb.dot.gov/

Questions are;

1) Who is included in the "certain trucking company"? If you p/u or del to a rail yard, as we have on occassion, are you a "certain trucking company"?
2) What would constitute "a copy of the regulatory report" for audit purposes?

Any insite on how you, as an expedite o/o, do your county business personal property rendition would be appreciated. This could mean paying personal property taxes, or not, on an o/o's largest asset, our trucks.

Thanx for any help you can provide,
retidepxe

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Surface Trans Brd?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question;
Regarding our TX county's "Business Personal Property Rendition of Taxable Property", it states; "If your property is regulated by the....federal Surface Transportation Board (STB), ...you are not required to file this rendition" and "The cheif appraiser may request a copy of the annual regulatory report"?

I have determined so far the STB is a division of the US DOT;

Department of Transportation | How-to Guides for running your business from Business.com

and the STB primarily regulates the rail industry, but also states "The agency has jurisdiction over..... ; certain trucking company, moving van,...";

http://www.stb.dot.gov/

Questions are;

1) Who is included in the "certain trucking company"? If you p/u or del to a rail yard, as we have on occassion, are you a "certain trucking company"?
2) What would constitute "a copy of the regulatory report" for audit purposes?

Any insite on how you, as an expedite o/o, do your county business personal property rendition would be appreciated. This could mean paying personal property taxes, or not, on an o/o's largest asset, our trucks.

Thanx for any help you can provide,
retidepxe

Hi Retidepxe,

This is one question that I cannot answer, each state has it own property tax rules, some are included within the cost of registration, other each county has it regulations with in the state,

Since you are Questioning TX law you would have to go to the state web site or contact the DOT, Or the DMV in that state where you reside to find out your answer.

Sorry! I cannot help you with this one. I live in NC and the laws here are completely different I pay vehicle tax to the county separately, Registration each year, and that is it no other taxes or requirments are involved.

Frank

Franklin Katz, ATP,PA, CPB
Frank’s Tax and Business Service
120 York Rd
Kings Mountain, NC 28086-3151
(704) 739-4039
Fax: (704) 739-3934

Circular 230 Ruling: Compliance

This email (including any attachments) contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION protected by federal and/or state law and is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity(is) designated as recipient(s). The information contained within this email should not be construed as tax advice. If you are not an intended recipient of the email, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the contents of this email is strictly prohibited. Disclosure to anyone other than the intended recipient does not constitute a waiver of any applicable privilege. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify us by phone at (704) 739-4039 or by email at [email protected] and then permanently delete the original and any copy of this email (including any attachments) and destroy any printout thereof.

Frank