Is TRI-STATE RUNNING or are they SITTING like MOST Carriers?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Huge difference between driving 24 hours straight and with a 4 or 6 hour nap. Not even comparable.

the OP did SAY....straight thru OR maybe a 4 hr or so break...to which I responded to the latter...

AND further I've done loads for present carrier where the only break time was the difference between the 50mph calculation and the real drive time....which over 1500 mies is approx 4-5 hrs....so you could say that is straight thru....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am with Ovm on this one. Most everyone puts 4 to 5 hr extra on a run that far. Plus at the 45 to 50 mph they use to schedule the load you should have plenty of time to time get a nap if you have good time management. People are all built differently some have the ability to drive longer than the others. I will myself have no problem driving long hours but I am a product of the early 80s driving tt with meat and produce. We never slept!! :)

actually that ain't really EXTRA hours....only the difference between the 50 mph and real time driving....AND you still have to consider fuel up time...

eklektek

Active Expediter
Thank you for sharing this information, it is quite helpful and lets me know not to turn in that direction.
Mr. Xiggi shares the same knowledge in a connected thread so it must be valid.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You're saying your carrier will book a 1500 mile load for 30 hour transit time ?

eklektek

Active Expediter
I work for a fleet owner and the week before Christmas 2012 I earned $1,500.00 take home. Unfortunately, this has been the most I have ever made and it's been downhill ever since. In fact, I am now down to 1 load per week and I am starting to question my own sanity for hanging on as long as I have, since this debacle has been going on since January 2nd, 2013. Unfortuanately, I didn't have 3 or 4 grand saved up to weather the slow times. In fact, how can any driver working for an owner operator save anything when this industry works on the one step forward two steps back principle? I have been driving 3 years and this is by far the worst quarter I have ever lived through. I am sure there are many who feel the same way I do, including those who are fleet owners. You can't pay your bills on empty promises or finger pointing at the other guys.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I work for a fleet owner and the week before Christmas 2012 I earned $1,500.00 take home. Unfortunately, this has been the most I have ever made and it's been downhill ever since. In fact, I am now down to 1 load per week and I am starting to question my own sanity for hanging on as long as I have, since this debacle has been going on since January 2nd, 2013. Unfortuanately, I didn't have 3 or 4 grand saved up to weather the slow times. In fact, how can any driver working for an owner operator save anything when this industry works on the one step forward two steps back principle? I have been driving 3 years and this is by far the worst quarter I have ever lived through. I am sure there are many who feel the same way I do, including those who are fleet owners. You can't pay your bills on empty promises or finger pointing at the other guys.

To be really blunt....IF you can't pull it off..time to say Bye Bye and call it quits....

zorry

Veteran Expediter
You just explained the industry.
Good times. Bad times.
The fact that sooo many are down shows it isn't your carrier.
You may have to do the fast food thing. Don't burn your bridges.
When the economy picks up you may be back trying to put together back to back $1500 weeks.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Except for those times they book it on a solo-operated van. Nice and safe.

[
QUOTE=OntarioVanMan;607858]
AND further I've done loads for present carrier where the only break time was the difference between the 50mph calculation and the real drive time....which over 1500 mies is approx 4-5 hrs....so you could say that is straight thru....[/QUOTE]

eklektek

Active Expediter
Not my current carrier, they provide me with enough time. However, they can't seem to win a bid if their life depended on it. My previous carrier would send me from Laredo to Detroit and ask me to get the load to the consignee ASAP, without much more than a 4 hour space for sleep and refueling. I made the run twice in 28 hours with my nap. I didn't complain, I love those long runs and would take them all day long if I could. I left that company because they kept me sitting up to 5 days at a time and like many drivers I heard the grass was greener and taller in Taylor, Michigan so I thought to myself, why not? So here I am sitting for nearly two weeks with only one short run and I'm supposed to be quiet and hold my tongue, not type the truth, not let others know about all the hyperbole and bull**** that comes out of so many drivers who love saying their company pays this and that and has loads coming out of their ears. This only causes newbies to want to join up and swell the ranks of this industry so the rest of us can continue to sit and wait.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Except for those times they book it on a solo-operated van. Nice and safe.

[
QUOTE=OntarioVanMan;607858]
AND further I've done loads for present carrier where the only break time was the difference between the 50mph calculation and the real drive time....which over 1500 mies is approx 4-5 hrs....so you could say that is straight thru....
[/QUOTE]

actually straight thru means= 1500 @ 50 mph= 30 hrs
now average 63 mph...=23.8 hrs....minus 1 hr approx. for fueling = 6 hrs for nap...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not my current carrier, they provide me with enough time. However, they can't seem to win a bid if their life depended on it. My previous carrier would send me from Laredo to Detroit and ask me to get the load to the consignee ASAP, without much more than a 4 hour space for sleep and refueling. I made the run twice in 28 hours with my nap. I didn't complain, I love those long runs and would take them all day long if I could. I left that company because they kept me sitting up to 5 days at a time and like many drivers I heard the grass was greener and taller in Taylor, Michigan so I thought to myself, why not? So here I am sitting for nearly two weeks with only one short run and I'm supposed to be quiet and hold my tongue, not type the truth, not let others know about all the hyperbole and bull**** that comes out of so many drivers who love saying their company pays this and that and has loads coming out of their ears. This only causes newbies to want to join up and swell the ranks of this industry so the rest of us can continue to sit and wait.

Sorry you got mislead....It is a tough go here at the moment...especially if you have financial commitments....the choice YOU made not to run cheap comes with a price...SITTING....because it will cause you to sit more then some other carriers....

eklektek

Active Expediter
Sorry Ontario, I don't have a wife to help me through the slow times and I can't go home and sit it out for two weeks like you are doing right now.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry Ontario, I don't have a wife to help me through the slow times and I can't go home and sit it out for two weeks like you are doing right now.

I am quite fortunate for sure....IF this was even 10 years ago...I'd be hard pressed to justify being with this carrier.....I'd be running my wheels off and racking up the miles doing it...

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would seem striking a balance isn't easy. You don't want to run too cheap, because giving away free miles is still free miles. On the other hand, if you price yourself too high you end up sitting instead of moving and making any money. Getting that balance right-- there's the trick.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It would seem striking a balance isn't easy. You don't want to run too cheap, because giving away free miles is still free miles. On the other hand, if you price yourself too high you end up sitting instead of moving and making any money. Getting that balance right-- there's the trick.

That is the kicker...and everyone has different criteria...no 2 plans will be the same..1 size does not fit everyone.....that is what makes it hard to comment...and we get 20 different opinions...