Cargo Van Is there anywhere I can go with a 2006 cargo?

crockett5

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have my CDL A was driving OTR but due to a injury I had to take some time off. I went through a MEGA company training program and had a year contract to cover my CDL training cost. I was on month 10 of my contract when I was injured working as a lease operator for them and when I tried to go back they are trying to force me into another year contract (they are trying to reset my year commitment to cover my CDL training). I was only out for a month and a half due to a injury and it doesn't sit well with me that they are trying to do this so I will not be going back.

My intent was to buy a truck this coming summer and lease it on to another company. I already have my own LLC and was doing well with my lease truck until the injury. I had been looking into running hot shot trucks as well as expediting because I wanted to get away from the big trucks.

Right now I have a 2006 Extended Ford E350 with a diesel. I'd like to give expediting a trial run before investing in a Sprinter and I'm curious if there is anywhere I can go with a older cargo van like that? I have good credit and have money saved so if expediting works it's not a issue for me to buy a newer van but I don't want to jump into that commitment with out having tested the waters first.

Is there anywhere I can run this van, I'm based in central Florida?

edit.. also for the record, I'm well versed with living on the road in a van. Prior to trucking I did a ton of traveling in a camper van for about 4 years. Meaning I understand drawbacks of cargo vans and so forth.

Last edited:

crockett5

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
ok, well I didn't get a answer here but I was able to negotiate with previous company to let me come back with out getting stuck with a new contract. Funny how things work when you get high enough up the chain of command at large companies..

Anyway I no longer need a response for this at this time as I'll be going back to OTR for the rest of this year. After that I do want to make the switch to expediting or hot shot with my own truck or van.

Reactions: RoadTime and Turtle

crockett5

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
ut I was able to negotiate with previous company to let me come back with out getting stuck with a new contract. Funny how things work when you get high enough up the chain of command at large companies..
Thanks for the update.

Hey here I am again.... I ended up finishing my contract with the original MEGA so that worked out well.. I also ended up pulling my own authority and have been hot shot trucking since Oct on my own numbers although I've been shut down for a month now due to the cronavirus. Anyway for those of you who plan to start out at another company then start your own it is possible to do it and no it doesn't take years if you bust your ass and save.. granted I was doing expediting but driving big rigs.