Is there a place for me?

Madcoww

Expert Expediter
I was hoping to get some guidance on if what I would like to do is realistic. I operate a farm in NE Ohio that keeps me pretty busy in the summer and an "inside job" the rest of the year. I own a 3/4 ton diesel truck that I use to pull a 24' gooseneck trailer when I deliver produce. The trailer is racked and tarped and is like a mini flatbed. Instead of my "inside job" I would prefer to hit the road during the off season (and some of the time in the summer). I know that I should contact individual companies but I would appreciate some help with the following questions: 1. Is a CDL necessary if I run under the weight requirements? Or if a CDL is not legally required would the employer require it anyway? 2. Would a rig such as I have be of interest to a company as an owner operator or should I look at something more customary in the business. 3. What about my part time status? I would be available some in the summer but full time late fall, winter and early spring. 4. If not expedited trucking, what else might be available for me? Thank you your help.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Madcoww,

The equipment that you have really doesn't fit into expediting in it's current definition. Your busy season falls directly into the busy season for expediting as well, so I don't really see where investing in other equipment would be financially rewarding to you BUT (there's always a but...) I do believe there are some other options available to you.

Check with local manufacturers who have a "once-in-a-while" kind of need for a delivery service. If you live off the beaten path you can almost sew up your own little market. I used to drive for a company that did just that. It was fun AND we made pretty good money.
Also - there is always RV delivery. Many of the RV delivery companies are hooked up with other trailer manufacturers so you can haul RV's one way and horse trailers or cargo trailers the other direction. Your trailer wouldn't be required but you could put your truck to use!!!

My opinions aren't the only ones out there, and I don't claim to be an expert, but I hope this info helps and I wish you the best of luck.
- Scott

"My Old Ride"

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/images/scott_han_sig_file.jpg

Questions About Express-1?
Call me 1-866-857-4537

-----------------------------------------