Is the Military CDL Act of 2012 really beneficial ?

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I don't see any benefit in it . Getting a CDL before discharge is actually a disadvantage because there is a limited window after finishing CDL training when training companies will accept the training . After as little as a few months some training companies will say retraining is necessary .
The writers of this blog are trying to help veterans find work after obtaining CDL's . I think expediting is the only sector of the industry where these veterans won't be exploited . Recruiters and fleet owners may find this blog helpful in recruiting veterans .
Military CDL Act of 2012 Promises Jobs for Veterans

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
A new bill signed by Congress last year called the "Post 9-11 bill". It now pays for Veterans to go through CDL training at an VA approved school. I have a good friend that manages Sage Technical in Lexington SC was talking about them being the only school in SC so far that has been approved. I don't know about the advantages, this is the extent to what I know.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
A new bill signed by Congress last year called the "Post 9-11 bill". It now pays for Veterans to go through CDL training at an VA approved school. I have a good friend that manages Sage Technical in Lexington SC was talking about them being the only school in SC so far that has been approved. I don't know about the advantages, this is the extent to what I know.
IMHO government funded CDL training is a huge waste of taxpayers money . Training companies have not increased their fleet size . They constantly need new drivers due to a high driver turnover which is over 100% .
Does a 100% turnover mean all the drivers quit ? No , it means a carrier with 12,000 drivers will hire 12,000 replacement drivers a year . 9,000 drivers will stay over a year in 75% of the trucks . The other 25% of the trucks (3,000) will average 4 new drivers come and go . Over 75% of CDL school graduates leave the industry within a year .
I'd advise veterans to avoid the trucking industry and find a career with a future .
Driver turnover situation is not abating, according to ATA data - Article from Logistics Management

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
A little off beat from the blog & title of this thread but I want to point out the brick wall a fleet owner may run into when trying to put on a veteran as I did.
Going thru the Mich unemployment job banks,(Mich Works) I tried for more then 2 months to list a opening but was told because the vet would be listed as a contractor and not a employee they would not post the job I had available or even help me fill it. So I stepped into the VA office in the same building and was told the same thing. By being a contractor and not an employee I was told the state would not benefit from me thru taxes and they wont post the job.

I believe this also causes the fleet owner to loss out on any tax breaks for putting a Vet to work.
This bill looks like it may only benefit the big box company's.. maybe I am wrong?? Maybe Dave could chime in on this as he has put alot of ppl to work and may know more about it.

Maybe EO could put some sort of button or banner in the classifed ads that would help fleet owners spot a Vet as he or she posting an ad looking for work thru this web site.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
A little off beat from the blog & title of this thread but I want to point out the brick wall a fleet owner may run into when trying to put on a veteran as I did.
Going thru the Mich unemployment job banks,(Mich Works) I tried for more then 2 months to list a opening but was told because the vet would be listed as a contractor and not a employee they would not post the job I had available or even help me fill it. So I stepped into the VA office in the same building and was told the same thing. By being a contractor and not an employee I was told the state would not benefit from me thru taxes and they wont post the job.

I believe this also causes the fleet owner to loss out on any tax breaks for putting a Vet to work.
This bill looks like it may only benefit the big box company's.. maybe I am wrong?? Maybe Dave could chime in on this as he has put alot of ppl to work and may know more about it.

Maybe EO could put some sort of button or banner in the classifed ads that would help fleet owners spot a Vet as he or she posting an ad looking for work thru this web site.
I appreciate your efforts and never thought of that angle . I really would like to see a way to help vets get into expediting rather than get led like sheep to the slaughter from CDL Mills to training carriers .

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
IMHO government funded CDL training is a huge waste of taxpayers money . Training companies have not increased their fleet size . They constantly need new drivers due to a high driver turnover which is over 100% .
Does a 100% turnover mean all the drivers quit ? No , it means a carrier with 12,000 drivers will hire 12,000 replacement drivers a year . 9,000 drivers will stay over a year in 75% of the trucks . The other 25% of the trucks (3,000) will average 4 new drivers come and go . Over 75% of CDL school graduates leave the industry within a year .
I'd advise veterans to avoid the trucking industry and find a career with a future .
Driver turnover situation is not abating, according to ATA data - Article from Logistics Management

In some respects I can see the waste of money. But, more than 90% of the CDL holders have been through training to get a CDL. I can say that VA money for training Vets to drive has nothing to do with turnover, don't know how you figure that. The waste of money is the WIA program that the state has that takes people who won't get a job and a few that can't get a job and pays for their training. Most of those people will be in the driver turnover because most of them can't turnover to get out of bed in the morning. (From what I've seen). That's your tax dollar at work. The last poll that I saw from Owner Operator Magazine said that more than 60% of the owner operators are Vets. I'll bet more than 50% of those got VA help to start out. There is more than 1 million Owner Operators now so that says a lot.
Also for what it's worth I think that EO and it's advertisers should make it a campaign to Hire the Vet. With cookie enhancements what they are EO and it's advertisers can benefit from a wider range of viewers.

Last edited:

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
In some respects I can see the waste of money. But, more than 90% of the CDL holders have been through training to get a CDL. I can say that VA money for training Vets to drive has nothing to do with turnover, don't know how you figure that. The waste of money is the WIA program that the state has that takes people who won't get a job and a few that can't get a job and pays for their training. Most of those people will be in the driver turnover because most of them can't turnover to get out of bed in the morning. (From what I've seen). That's your tax dollar at work. The last poll that I saw from Owner Operator Magazine said that more than 60% of the owner operators are Vets. I'll bet more than 50% of those got VA help to start out. There is more than 1 million Owner Operators now so that says a lot.
Also for what it's worth I think that EO and it's advertisers should make it a campaign to Hire the Vet. With cookie enhancements what they are EO and it's advertisers can benefit from a wider range of viewers.
How do you figure vets that vets trained with VA money aren't part of the turnover ? Most of them get hired by the high turnover training carriers . I agree veterans have a higher success rate than others but many of them are also unwilling to take the abuse carriers dish out .
More than 1 million O/O's ? It would be interesting to see what sector of the industry they are in . I bet many are bullhaulers , local dump bucket haulers , oversize , and other specialized . I hope they didn't include the major carrier lease/operators as O/O's .
Vets training under the CDL Act won't be headed into any of these sectors unless they have pretty good connections .