Is straight truck expediting worth the time?

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
The only thing about telling someone they can avg. 12,000 a month is when they come in this biz at the begining of Jan and don't do that in Jan they are mad because they feel they got lied to. I'm really starting to feel like more people are just jumping in and don't have a cue about what they are doing. The people at orientation tell them to accept every load, every empty move, everything. They don't know what's a good load and what's a bad load. I know that is off subject but they still don't end up making it. When I went through oreintation at Panther I think the guy told us they only really expected us to be there for about 3 months. That's sad. This isn't Panther bashing just what I was told.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Too many straight trucks.

Too many cargo vans.

Too many expediters in general.

There will be some dramatic changes over the next 60-90 days.

HOS rules, coupled with increasing fuel and maintenance costs, will cause many solo straight trucks to leave the industry. The huge increase in the number of "For Sale" trucks is a key indicator to the change that has already begun. Look at all of the 2007, 2006, 2005 trucks for sale. More than I have ever seen. Some fleet owners, having mostly solo drivers, are selling off units and even their entire fleet.

During the winter slow down, folks will go home, look at their books, weigh the cost per the return, discuss their particular situation with family members and friends and then decide to find suitable employment locally.

Team trucks will fair somewhat better and anyone with experience in the industry could survive if leased to those carriers specializing in team loads; I count three that fit such criterion.

Cargo vans that can handle 3000 lbs and up to 10 feet of load capacity should weather the shake out. Of course, than means no sleeper and only a few will be willing to sleep on the floor with a sleeping bag. Idling is too costly and the thought of waking up in a truck with frost on the "INSIDE" of your windows will keep many off the road.

During this cycle the competitive rates will leave no room for error, no hotel stays, no staying South during inclement weather, no adding convenience items to the truck, no deadhead for birthdays and weddings, no out of route sightseeing trips, etc.

And before you start piling on by telling me how well you are doing...you are the exception that proves the rule. I have met many of you and you have already figured out how to make it work for yourself. I am speaking to those who are considering this type of business. Moreover, I am not speaking to retirees that only expedite to simply fill a void in their free time. Remember, their cars, trucks and houses are usually for.

The rule: This is a very demanding business. "Business" being the key word. It has been my experience that most folks are coming from jobs where they punched a time clock everyday for 20+ years. They had a routine; their lives were following a pattern. In the wonderful world of expediting...every moment is a constant state of change.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Rev I think you hit the nail on the head about people leaveing the industry. From what I've been reading it seems like the first quarter will weed out the weak,unprepared, and ones who don't have the heart to stick it out. Who knows they may be the smart ones. I'm only on the outside looking in.

When I left the expedite industry a little over a year ago I kept coming to this site for a number of reasons, but the main one was to stay on top of things going on in the industry so I'd know what was happening when the time comes when I can come back. Jan. 8 2008 I'll be elgible to come back, but from what I've been reading I think it's best for me to stay in college while I have the chance to go.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Jan. 8 2008 I'll be elgible to come
>back, but from what I've been reading I think it's best for
>me to stay in college while I have the chance to go.

Good thinking!

fastrod

Expert Expediter
From what I've been reading it seems
>like the first quarter will weed out the weak,unprepared,
>and ones who don't have the heart to stick it out.

You are right but the carriers will just sign on more to replace them. It seems there is a never ending supply of warm bodies out there to fill the void.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Ateam thanks I need someone encouraging sometimes. I'm so glad to be on Christmas break.

Fastrod,
You know what the said thing is? You are right! Warm bodies, steering wheel holders, and yes men. They get out there with high hopes but the only button they seem to know how to press on the qc when a load offer comes in "Y". For yes of course. The sad thing about it is they have made an investment in equipment but none in education on this industry. SO they are basicly up Shiite Creek without a paddle in a canoe with holes in it. I hope all of you in the best in 08. Maybe things will pick up. No one knows what the future holds.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Akajarhead,

I am not a huge fan of the educational system in this country.

I am all about learning, but I am resistant to those who attempt to bend my will, my ethics, my values, my morals, etc. simply because they are standing in front of a classroom; thus, providing them a platform to voice their liberal thoughts.

Most of my educational process has been conducted via "Distance Learning". It keeps me out of the classroom and off the campus.

Every college and university in my area has some form of a "Distance Learning" program. You'll save time and money by going this route. Better still, you'll get diploma without being brainwashed.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
When I said education I said education in this industry. Not knowing about expedite. The reason I am going the traditional course of getting my education is because due to disabilty I had to quit work. I intially started school to get out of the house until I could et back on the road. Now that I realize I enjoy it I'm going to finish.