Is it good time to start with a fleet owner?

Cameronppls

New Recruit
Driver
I'm a rookie otr sprinter driver. I will meeting fleet owner Sunday to pick up van then go live Monday for xpo. I have ton of questions. I will be getting 60/40 on loaded miles and I pay gas. My question is how many miles could I expect a week? The owner says his drivers get around 2000 a week and wants me to be 2 weeks at a time. Could some break down the numbers to expect. Also is working for fleet owner better than owner operation starting out. Thanks

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
Take a 25 foot or longer power cord to run a heater or fan because the xpo office in Buchanan,mi has plugs outside to power stuff.

Shotcallerj

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm a rookie otr sprinter driver. I will meeting fleet owner Sunday to pick up van then go live Monday for xpo. I have ton of questions. I will be getting 60/40 on loaded miles and I pay gas. My question is how many miles could I expect a week? The owner says his drivers get around 2000 a week and wants me to be 2 weeks at a time. Could some break down the numbers to expect. Also is working for fleet owner better than owner operation starting out. Thanks
Ok. So miles are not the most important thing.....the rate you're getting paid per mile is the most important thing. It's better to take a load that's going 200 Miles for a $1 a mile,(rarely will ever see a rate like that these days), than to take one that's paying .70 a mile, going 300. Sure you make $10 more on the 300 mile run, but you're also spending about an hour and a half longer driving, and using more fuel. So keep that in mind. always try to get the highest and best rate possible... Companies will have no problem running you at 60 or 70 cents a mile...

The first couple months are going to suck as you learn where freight comes out of and where it doesn't. The general rule of expedite is to stay east of the Mississippi. But that doesn't guarantee you'll get a load out of everywhere. Stay out of Florida unless you're getting additional money to deadhead back up to Atlanta. Do your best to stay out of the East coast(new Jersey, New York City, massachusetts, new hampshire, maine, etc) unless you are getting paid really well(you'll go out there once and understand why).... occasionally freight will come out of there but you may have to drive to get it. Keep in mind that you will end up having to take toll roads, so if the van doesn't have an EZ pass you need to contact your fleet owner and figure out a way to get one. Make sure you're getting extra money to cover tolls. If you choose to go out west or to Texas, just accept the fact that you're going to have to deadhead empty on your own dime back to a place in the midwest or South that you can get freight. Sure some loads do come out of texas and out west, but very few do. Dispatchers are not your friends. They are there to make XPO money. There is no such thing as favors with them as they never will remember them. They have no problem sending you out to the middle of nowhere....where you will have to deadhead back to a good freight area.

Since you are paying for fuel, keep your lead foot off the gas. SAVE ALL OF YOUR FUEL, FOOD, PHONE, RECEIPTS AS YOU CAN WRITE THEM OFF DURING TAX TIME (your accountant or individual who does your taxes can advise you on that further) Don't idle unless you have to. You'll end up using a half gallon every hour. Invest in an indoor buddy heater for heat.

Get a professional driver's card from pilot / flying J. Every 14 gallons of fuel will give you half of a shower. Try to get food from grocery stores and plan your meals out as best as possible. Eating out all the time will get very expensive and will not be good for you health-wise in the long run.

Other drivers will talk a bunch of crap at truck stops on how great they are doing, and always try to pump you for information. Just let them talk, and always tell them you haven't been getting loads for anything.

If you are a concealed weapons license holder and plan to be carrying a weapon for defense, make sure you know and understand the laws of every state you're going into. As well as make sure to not take any loads that are going to government facilities (nuclear, military, etc)

If the van does not have one, spend a few hundred dollars on a quality GPS. Rand Mcnally is my personal preference, as you can map out stops.... As well as find places to park close to your destination or pick up. Always get as close as you can to a pickup or drop (for morning loads).

I'm sure I'll think of something later but that's just off the top of my head. You have to remember though, just because something works for other people, doesn't mean that it has to be for you. Use common sense, and stay safe.

Reactions: Jason2