Is it better to get the job first?

Omaha

Active Expediter
Just curious if its smarter to get a truck first and then get a job or find out what type of equipment is needed. I am looking at getting a straight truck but I would hate to purchase anything and not be a benefit to the company I am looking to sign on with.

Observation to Companies, I have sent several e-mails to different companies and no one ever gets back to me. I am very experienced from the managment side of the industry but looking to break in on this end. When I first started I drove a 24 foot flatbed straight truck in Houston and looking to do something on my own and currently work as a Logistics Manager in Omaha Ne

Any advice would be great

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
Call the carrier you wish to sign on with and make sure fit their qualifications and then find out what type of equipment is required.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I did it backwards. I saw so many job listings on Craigslist for van's that I went and bought a GMC 3500 and then applied. I went over to a local expeditor carrier, walked in the door, told them why I was there and they hired me on the spot. Started running the same day.

I got really lucky. The VP of the company saw me from across the office and calls out my name. Turns out he was the same guy I worked with at Towne Air back in the late 90's. I bypassed all the normal stuff and was hired based on past experiences with him.

If I had to start over, in my case running a cv, I would get the van first. Not that many options for cv's and you could start sooner.

Last edited:

Omaha

Active Expediter
Thanks shadow7663, I see quite a few people on here showing there pride in Load 1....nice to see

Omaha

Active Expediter
I did it backwards. I saw so many job listings on Craigslist for van's that I went and bought a GMC 3500 and then applied. I went over to a local expeditor carrier, walked in the door, told them why I was there and they hired me on the spot. Started running the same day.

I got really lucky. The VP of the company saw me from across the office and calls out my name. Turns out he was the same guy I worked with at Towne Air back in the late 90's. I bypassed all the normal stuff and was hired based on past experiences with him.

If I had to start over, in my case running a cv, I would get the van first. Not that many options for cv's and you could start sooner.

Thats awesome. How do you like your GMC??

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got a bad one. It was a 1999 and had lots of problems. Belts, pulleys, relays, crank position sensor, transmission line leaks, egr valve and bad mileage. Sold it and bought a 2006 Chevrolet Express 3500 and its been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. No problems, just keep doing my maintenance.