IRS Business Code/Standard Mileage

jacie

Expert Expediter
Can you tell me the right business code to use on a Schedule C for a B-van? Should it be "484120-General Freight-Long Distance Trucking" or "492000-Courier & Messengers" or something else?

Could this be the difference in why some are allowed a standard Mileage deduction and others are disallowed?
Thanks for your help.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Jacie,

I understand your brand new to the forum, and I think you just hit the nail on the button.
The correct code for the expediting business is 484120,General freight trucking, no others should be used on the Sch C where it says business code.

FRank

jacie

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the quick reply and sorry it took a while for me to get back to you.
I'm really confused now. I read somewhere (I think) that a "courier" is not "for hire" and can take the standard mileage deduction. So I thought that maybe those who use the courier-code are the ones who don't have problems with deducting the standard mileage deduction. But if you use the trucking-codes and don't have problems, then that's not the answer.
Am I missing something?

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Jacie,

I really cannot give you an answer on the explaination, and don't know why they are pulled for audits, it is up to the orginal auditor, you probably have to pull out your contract with you and show that you use your vehicle as exclusive use to the Comp that your leased to.

Frank