iPhone 5

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
I plan to have my new phone in hand today.

I watched the UPS tracking and it was shipped from the factory in Zhengzhou, China. Weird. Last time I ordered it - it came from California.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Verizon says they won't have them until oct. 11. May get me one but will wait for more reviews.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Okay, right of the gate I'm having syncing problems. Other than that - it's noticeably faster. Plus the LTE makes data use as fast - if not faster than high speed on the laptop.

Once I sell my iPhone 4 - my out of pocket cost is going to be $75. Not bad for this kind of hardware. :cool:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Is that an iPhone 4 or iPhone 4s that is having map problems with ios6 ?
I have a 4 and was going to upgrade tomorrow. I like the maps and won't upgrade now if I'll have issues.

Last edited:

BigCat

Expert Expediter
I haven't had any wifi issues with mine. Maybe it is the iPhone 5 having issues then.

hedgehog

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got my IPhone 5 last Friday (9-21-12). Pre-ordered thru Verizon National Sales on 9-14-12.

I had a 4S with AT&T but was not getting all the offers from dispatch. Once or twice a week my voicemail alert would sound off and it was usually dispatch with an offer. Missed at least 6-10 good paying runs in the past 18 months because of the crappy coverage.

Anyhow, my biggest complaint about the new phone is that you can't buy a charging cable to use as a backup. If the "lightning cable" is lost or breaks down, too bad for you. I've talked with Apple and they said it likely won't be available for at least 3-4 weeks.

Tried Amazon, Tiger, New Egg, etc., etc. and same result.

While listening to a podcast (don't remember which one it was) while on the road Thursday, the moderators were advising to not be the first in line to buy a non-Apple cable. The rumor is that Apple has embedded a chip to make sure only their cables would work. Anybody else heard this ??

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Is that an iPhone 4 or iPhone 4s that is having map problems with ios6 ?
I have a 4 and was going to upgrade tomorrow. I like the maps and won't upgrade now if I'll have issues.

Any iPhone that upgrades to OS6 will lose google maps and have the horrible apple maps. Even the CEO of Apple has suggested using Google or third party apps until they get the mess straightened out. They really dropped the ball on this.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
My wife thought she read the 4 would be okay and the 4s would lose the google maps.
I'll wait. I like my google maps.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I've got an iPhone 4 which I recently updated to iOS6, and yep, lost my nice map for the newer, sometimes errant, Apple Map. Got the Google Map browser deal, but it's far from the same as the old map I used to have.

They'll get it working, I have faith in that. I don't use it as much as some do, with the good ol' Garmin unit being my main nav source, but did use the map app a lot to double check a route, set compass direction for parking to the north, etc.

I suspect I'll go for the iPhone 5 after the first of the year, and am debating whether to just buy it outright so as not to lose my grandfathered Verizon unlimited data, or go for the upgrade and lose the unlimited data. I wish the Verizon iPhone had removable sim cards instead of flash memory, as it would be much easier to transfer the acct to a new phone, and gift my i4 to my kid.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
Upgraded my Iphone 3G to the new OS 6 seems to be working good, better than the old OS still trying to decide on the Iphone 5 or The Galaxy waiting for more reviews of actual users