Inverter

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Tony, Will try to get a schmatic out this weekend. Here is what you are going to need. And of course I have to say anyone is on their own and I take no responsibility, but this is the way I did mine. You may want to have a professional check it out after you have completed your work.

1. Isolator switch (two types electronic or the old type) electronic is very expensive, old type (which I use) you can pick up from RV dealer for about $20.00 This isolator keeps power going to your reserve batteries and prevents the drain of your starting battery.

2. Buy an inverter, a 1750 is mid range for watts, I have a 1000 watt. You have to consider what you are going to run. I run a 600 watt microwave and it does fine. Sometimes Pilot has a sale on a kit, inverter and microwave.

3. Reserve batteries, I use two 6 volt golf cart batteries and had a welder build a retainer that I drew out for the reserve batteries.

4. Heavy guage wire, the guage will depend on two things. How far the isolator is from the reserve battery, and the distance from the reserve battery to the inverter. I have seen wire at the Flying J, it is normally blue. I think it is around 4 guage.

5. Roll of 14 guage wire (or thereabouts) this is for connect of you isolator to (always hot on fuse block) and to ground. Here again depending on the run.

I will draw the schematic for the van lay out and you can just apply it to whatever you are going to mount it in.

Might as well post this on EO also in case others are interested.

Will sure save you a lot in food cost. I'll pass my suggestions on that later on.
----- Original Message -----
y here it is:

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks tr. I'll be waiting on the post this weekend. I know your not to blame if anything goes wrong. I also have an offer from LM. He has a complete setup and a guy to install it. I just have to get my but down south to Tenn. to pick it up and have it installed. That is the hard part. So if I can find it up here so be it.

GroundHawk

Expert Expediter
This what I have.
Run a cable from the postive side of the OEM battery to a battery cut off switch(try rv dealer or race car shop)run a cable from the other side of the switch to the positive side of the marine batery.This circuitry isolates the power from the new battery to the OEM battery just like a isolator.The other cable is ran from ground of the marine battery to the ground of the OEM battery.The idea is to switch the marine battery out of the circuit when parked,no matter how much it discharge the truck will start.Now run your inverter to the marine battery.You can also run another wire from the marine battery and add a cigarette lighter jack and mount it inside the truck,now you can plug in your lap top,t.v or what ever.Make sure you put in a inline fuse.So when you park switch the marine battery out the circuit and use your inverter or what ever,when you are ready to go switch th e switch on and fire up the truck to charge the marine battery.The truck will star every time because you were powering the inverter off the marine battery. Hawk