Interesting Food For Thought

mrkoller1969

Active Expediter
I find it interesting that no matter how much I budget and eliminate as much fat as I can from each run, my biggest cost is fuel. With fuel up as high as $4.50 a gallon there are still drivers out there willing to haul freight for little or next to nothing. What is wrong with people? Government and the oil companies are already trying to squeeze businesses and running them out of the country or taxing businesses so high that the price of goods get passed onto the consumer or the regulate the crap out of business and no one can afford to do any business at all.

It is a no wonder that unemployment is so freaking high and it is going to get higher regardless what our government says cause they are only giving numbers of the people currently on unemployment. What about all of the people that have exhausted their unemployment? This expediting business is getting so much harder to stay in because of the cost and the willingness of drivers to do loads for cheap. How do you support a family on such an income?

I have eliminated eating out expense by buying a fridge, microwave and just buying groceries. I have bought a mini notebook, printer so instead of buying logbooks I keep everything on my pc, I save faxing cost by using email instead, my pc doubles as my TV as i watch free internet TV and I sleep in my truck to save money there to. Now that I have cut out the fat on my personal expenses, how and where else would you cut expenses on the business side?

moose

Veteran Expediter
Do what you can to increase revenue,
partner with a carrier that can keep up with FSC,
High Fuel prices are golden opportunity for the carriers that can capitalized on it,
and a tough break on the ones that do not have a wide costumer base.

on the saving side,
go over every single business expense, in order, and try to shop around for a better deal,
(like for the truck insurance, call CIS, OOIDA, and other, and compare their rates for the same coverage.)
do the same for your fuel card, tolls, cellphone, or any other business expense.

you can't change the market, let E'm fail,
but you can control your revenue and costs.

johndeereman

Active Expediter
I suggest maybe looking for others to drive for, especiaaly if you drive for the clown I used to drive for.I have not set one day since leaveing this joker, unless I was paid to or chose to set at home.I have not been using this broker long but but now know how a competent broker works.If you figure out what clown I am talking about here and are working for him I suggest shopping around the grass is so much greener on the other side.I now know what I now have and that is the only good thing of 3 months of working for a wanna be broker

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
How to save: coast down all hills in neutral, cut off engine while idling in downtown N.Y., drive naked and save on laundry expense, panhandle between runs to get extra money . ( panther drivers do that). Buy your pickles from OVM.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
1)Get your own authority So you can book your own loads directly and controll your business.
2)Work for real brokers even better directly with shippers that can keep you bussy.
3)Stay away from exclusive contracts theyre poison for your business.
4)If a company wants to controll your truck tell them to buy it and put you on the payroll.
5)Service the hell out of all customers give your name and ask they request you.

This is why I am still in business while many are not.

Yeah the expedited business is taking allot of hand me down work from LTL load brokers who underbid the freight in the first place. Also most espicialy smaller shops are former LTL dispachers or sales guys they live in truck freight consolidation not expedited work. For those out there willing to work for free or for a loss stop playing the desperate card when some moron offers a load at an un acceptable rate "just to get you out of there" or "so you can get back on the road" If its that tough Please quit so us business men and women can make a PROFITT

Bob Wolf

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
B.T.W. waht time zone is EO running Im eastern and they are four
hours ahead of me

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
B.T.W. waht time zone is EO running Im eastern and they are four
hours ahead of me

You can set the time in your preferences in your control panel

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

mrkoller1969

Active Expediter
Just wondering what clown that might be? I like driving for this guy. I get decent runs, he pays on time every time and the truck is in decent shape. The guy also has access to bid on multiple companies as well so sitting time really isn't all that much.

mrkoller1969

Active Expediter
I have learned that lesson on speed. When I first started out I would take advantage of the speed limit and that meant even going 80 mph like down in Texas. But I have learned that if I stick around 60-65 I can get a little over 14 mpg instead of just 8 mpg. So the answer to your question is between 60 and 65 mph.