Insurance

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Im trying to upgrade to larger carrier.. Panther..i hate driving around in unmarked cargo van, and also dont like the fact that one of my carriers mails my check to my house. How am I supposed to stay otr, if I have to go home every two Weeks to get check? can I cancel my current insurance policy without being penalized?

Dont steal, the government hates competition. ~Ron Paul~

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
NEVER , EVER, Cancel your insurance until you have a policy and insurance cards in hand proving you have coverage.
Im not in the insurance business.
Here is my advice as a motor carrier from my own experiance with carriers and company insurances. Its best to have your own coverage because the coverages are arranged for your bennefit. Insurance offered by many carriers are first for the bennefit of the carrier and may leave you hanging if coverages are not sufficient. The carrier may have full controll over the policy, and it can often cost more than buying it yourself For example you wreck your van, dammage your freight or hurt a passanger your passenger might not be compensated and you can be sued. The insurance pays the carriers loss first and you get whats left over if anything. If your a newbie I would call C.I.S. insurance talk to John or Shelly and they will get you set up properly they work with expediters and truckers, and they already know what most of the carriers want. Eventualy you may want to obtain your own authority this is another andvatage and best yet if things dont work out your still insured and employable.

Last edited:

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
B.T.W. have you ever thought about dirrect deposit or A.C.H. into your bank account? Its not all that expensive most banks give you a few free A.C.H. deposits per month. Typicaly Dirrect Deposit is free and the money is there as long as your carrier is good at paying when they say they pay.
Pay day is Friday deposit made 00:01 Friday morning money is the in bank Friday period.
If you dont trust the carrier set up an account with your bank just for Dirrect Deposit or A.C.H..

Bob Wolf.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The only thing I can add is that you can talk to anyone at CIS, not just John or Shelly. They are great to work with and every one of them will go all out to take care of your coverage. Once you have new coverage in hand you can cancel your old policy but whether there will be any penalty or not depends on who it is with and what the policy terms are. Good luck.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Thats who my insurance is with now CIS, but from what I hear,Panther has thier own insurance..just have to pay workers comp and satellite fees..wich would still be cheaper then what im paying now.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree I had coverage with them for abbout four years just changed companies this past week because my main customer has a unique coverage need that cant be met by progressive. Not to mention New York State regs make it dificult for them. I would still recomend C.I.S. anytime.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
How would I get my own authority..what are the advantages.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thats who my insurance is with now CIS, but from what I hear,Panther has thier own insurance..just have to pay workers comp and satellite fees..wich would still be cheaper then what im paying now.

Get all the details in writing and send it to CIS be selfish all I can say is COVER YOUR OWN *** FIRST

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Go to type it exactly fmcsa.dot.gov/registration-licensing make sure you are on the FMCSA website not a scalper/ company that helps you with getting your authority that will way overcharge you.
At the section that says help me register at the bottom of that section click on step by step registration and follow the promps. There is a fee Im not sure how much I have had mine for four years now. It is an investment but if you can come up with the money it opens you up for more work and you can book your own loads. If you are leased with annother carrier you might make more money. And likeI said if it all comes appart and it dose, you can find work easily.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
OOIDA has some good Insurance programs and friendly folks to boot, Direct Deposit is the only way to go, if they wont do that have them post your paycheck to your fuel card, or get one that allows this. I have two seperate accounts one is a deposit acct, which I then transfer to the ATM accessible account..if the company cant do direct deposit then possibly a wire transfer but there are usually fees attached to that.....CIS and OOIDA are two of the better well known REPUTABLE companies

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Yeah, I deal with Christine, and ive never had a problem. Ive also signed up for OOIDA membership. I just hope my carrier pays me, so I can pay my insurance. I should have done more research before signing with this company..

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
B.T.W. have you ever thought about dirrect deposit or A.C.H. into your bank account? Its not all that expensive most banks give you a few free A.C.H. deposits per month. Typicaly Dirrect Deposit is free and the money is there as long as your carrier is good at paying when they say they pay.
Pay day is Friday deposit made 00:01 Friday morning money is the in bank Friday period.
If you dont trust the carrier set up an account with your bank just for Dirrect Deposit or A.C.H..

Bob Wolf.

Another option is Paypal. I have been using it for over a year now to pay my driver. Never a fee, but when you first set it up for security reasons according to Paypal, for the first few months the options are always instant (via checking account backed by a debit card), or credit card or check. When you send money at first, you check instant, sometimes there is no fee sometimes it reverts to credit card which then there is a fee. At that point you change the payment option to check. Palpal doesn't actually send a check, the money comes out of your account that day, but won't transfer for a few days to the drivers account. The drivers end has a Paypal account setup for direct deposit to their bank account no fee there either.

Takes less than 5 minutes to pay my driver and print out the sheet and email that Paypal sends you. A good paper trail. I usually pay on Thursday and it is in their account on that Thursday.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
If you signed up for OOIDA call and talk to them they can give you legal options to secure your money, but be warned if you didnt have a contract or theres something afoot out of normal operating procedures there gonna tell you right up front, YOU GOOFED...But they will help you mediate a settlement too, Ive used OOIDA allot, Ive called and asked dumb questions, Never have they made me feel dumb, but they have also educated me to the legalities and operating procedures that WORK.