insurance

nanny56

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We are buying a 2000 Kenworth, Class 8 with a 22" box, 72" high rise sleeper. We'll be signing on with Tri-State. if all goes well this will all be a done deal by April 1, 2001

Can anyone help us out with our insurance needs. What all do we need, where is the best place to buy and what can we expect cost wise. I am talking about truck, health, workers compensation, ect. Everything we will need. We are completely new to this and really need the run down.

Thanks for your advise.

Pat & Steph

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Check out OOIDA.com. It stands for owner operator independant drivers association. I would suggest joining them. They have alot of programs you can check out. Doesn't hurt to check around locally too to compare prices. As far as what you need for insurance will depend on your lease requires. Usually the carrier picks up public damage and cargo insurance and you get the rest but some are different and want you to pay for it all. Don't know what state your from but in the twin cities, I use great west. Not bad and pretty good rates. I'm sure others will post other insurance for you to check out.
Good luck and safe trucking.
Randy

PS. how much did the truck set you back and did you order it that way or did you have the frame stretched.
Thanks again.

nanny56

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I need to correct my original message. I stated we were buying a class 8, actually what we are buying is a D unit with a class 8 drive train that set us back about 80K.

We are completely new to Expediting, although my husband drove big truck for about 3 year. Hope we make it!

DriverLLC

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Depending on how you would like to structure your company i believe that their are a couple of ways around the workers compensation and insurance part. if you are going to have some one else drive your vehicle they can apply for an llc or you could hire them on as an independent contractor. but i dont know if those are your motives and i have only been in the expediting industry about a year now so you might want to do some more research on that. good luck.