Insurance coverage for O/O

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I have a question and I hope someone can provide me with the correct answer? As a owner-operator in expediting, Am I required to carry occupational accidental insurance or workmens compensation insurance, as an independant owner-operator.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Redbird;

As an independent contractor in any industry (not just expediting) you are generally required to provide your own "industrial insurance". The company, or companies, that you do work for have contracted you (or your business) to do work for them. As a contractor, you are generally required to pay your own taxes, pay your own insurances - health, worker's comp, life, etc...

As an independent contractor you enjoy the benefits of working for yourself. Setting your hours, determining what jobs you will do or won't do, planning your own routes and so on.

In the expediting (or trucking) industry it is not uncommon for carriers to implement their own company policies requiring proof of Worker's Comp or Occupational Accident insurance as a requirement for owner-operators leasing onto their company. This insures that if you - the independent contractor - injure yourself and do not have industrial insurance of some type, that you are unable to come back on the carrier with a claim against their industrial insurance policy.

I personally feel that independent contractors, in any industry, should have the right to determine which type of industrial insurance best fits their needs. I don't think it is right for a carrier to mandate any one particular type of industrial insurance as a requirement, though like any club or organization that you wish to belong to, they have a right to make their own rules. You play by the rules if you want to belong to the club or organization. If not, you take your ball and go home or elsewhere.

Occupational Accident insurance is NOT worker's compensation. It is an insurance policy that covers the same things as workers comp, at or above the same ($) levels as workers comp, for a fixed fee per month. Workers comp is generally a fixed percentage of wages per month, and usually is more expensive.

North Carolina's Workers Comp website has a listing of contacts for all 50 states Worker's Compensation bureaus. That website is:
www.comp.state.nc.us/ncic/pages/all50.htm

I hope you find this useful.

Thank you,
HotFr8Recruiter
:)

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
If you are a resident of the state of Ohio there is a program available through the state that can give you the required coverage at a fraction of the cost that you'd have to pay through a conventional insurance company.

I am not an expert on this - but I do know that it is available. If you Buckeyes do a little homework you can save yourselves a handful of cash. This is one of the few good things that result from living in the land of John Glenn.

Scott