Install satellite radio

rjrrob

Seasoned Expediter
I got a 2010 mb sprinter . Wondering if anyone knows how the dash portion around radio comes apart so i can put my fm module on the radio for the antenna to receive good reception on the sirus satellite . Its to static y with out it . Anybody know , im lost with out it
thanks rob

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got a 2010 mb sprinter . Wondering if anyone knows how the dash portion around radio comes apart so i can put my fm module on the radio for the antenna to receive good reception on the sirus satellite . Its to static y with out it . Anybody know , im lost with out it
thanks rob

Not sure how to take the radio out but here is what I did and it worked very well. Get rid of the fm module their junk. Unscrew the antenna from your sprinter roof and mount the satellite radio right under the stock radio. This worked very well for me and you would be amazed at how many normal radio stations you can still pick up without the roof antenna when you want to.

jw-bama

Seasoned Expediter
i bought the fm module from radio shack,sirius brand and it works great. its automatic turn on the sirius radio and all other stations are blocked,turn it off and and your fm tunes back in. it was the best thing i ever bought for my sirius. not one time has another station over power my satellite signal. before i bought it it was hit or miss. i know this doesnt answer your ? but as to the fm module being junk it is not.one of the few things that works well from sirius...

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I went to Best Buy and had a radio installed with an auxiliary jack. Just plug your satellite radio into that and you get the best sound.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
i bought the fm module from radio shack,sirius brand and it works great. its automatic turn on the sirius radio and all other stations are blocked,turn it off and and your fm tunes back in. it was the best thing i ever bought for my sirius. not one time has another station over power my satellite signal. before i bought it it was hit or miss. i know this doesnt answer your ? but as to the fm module being junk it is not.one of the few things that works well from sirius...

The fm module that comes with the radio as far as working in a sprinter is junk. The one you purchased may put out more power, I think the ones packed with the radios are only one watt or less. When the radios first came out they were 3 watts but the government made them lower the power because of complaints from other people next to vehicles with them having their radio signal overpowered buy the satellite signal. Part of the problem is the location of the sprinter antenna.

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
The trim around radio and heater controls just snap in place.
Remove trim and the radio has 4 torx head screws,remove and slide the unit out.
The unit has a quick disconnect plug for the power an speaker wires and the radio has a special antenna connector(you will have to buy a antenna adpater).
Hope that points you in the right direction.

jw-bama

Seasoned Expediter
i totally agree my first radio i had for 6 years and never had problems with reception got a new one and went hunting for something that would work. the module i have doesnt put out any wattage. it just switches back and forth from fm to sat. basiclly shutting off the fm signal. it really works great.

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
I had one of the old FM module for sirrus and I got pulled over 3 times in VA for a radar detector.
On the second time I was pulled the officer took the time to help find what was setting off there system,that was about 20 min. later with drilling that I had a radar dectector. So,we being turning thing off one by one and he just laugh when he seen the sirrus radio was setting it off......he wrote his name;badge #;cell #;and said if I got stopped again to tell the next officer to give him a call.He said, their not going to believe me at headquarters.

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
I just bypassed all that nonsense and bought a Kenwood head unit that was Sirius ready. You buy a Sirius/kenwood module and control everything thru the Kenwood head unit. No more Sirius unit on your windshield or unsightly wires dangling off your dashboard. Never had a problem after I switched to this.

TheOGExpediterGuy

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
:DHey rob...Congrats on the New Sprinter man...I've got one too...Hit a deer with it last week though...Hope to see you soon man...maybe in Dallas or Laredo...How's Canada treatin ya?

rjrrob

Seasoned Expediter
thanks comet i will give that a try , i was the dealer today he told me to do it couple hours before i get next service cause it will shut the radio down and put a code in the computer . he didn't know how as they send theirs to a radio shop down the road .