Inside of Box

Bigschu2

Expert Expediter
Could anybody please tell me if drivers sometimes use a portion of they're box for personal Items such as a custom closet or footlocker on the floor or whatever. Does it pose a problem with the carrier or customers? I'm thinking of a "D" unit for example. something maybe put high into a corner off of the floor- high? I know that you have a lot a pads and misc already in there but I think you know what I'm talking about.

thank you for your reply

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Yes. The first foot and a half of my 24' box has a collapsable bulkhead. This is where I store spare tires, pads, loadbars, tools, pallet jack, etc. Those frame mounted tool boxes are just too small for a lot of the items one might want to have for trucking.
-Weave-

Tony

Expert Expediter
That's a great idea,especially for spare tires, one drive and one steer sounds good. Then you're not at someone else's mercy on the road.

G

Weave, I've been meaning to ask this. Since I'm going to have a 24' box, it is definitaly important to me now.

What happens in the event your fully loaded and need something that you have stored up there?

I would think the spares would be better off in a carrier under the box?

Thx,

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We also have some extra space in our box, and use it for spare tire, sleeping bag, bicycle, tools, etc. We have also taken loads that fill the box to capacity, and stored all our spares on top of the freight. A tire is a wonderful thing to sling on top of a 6' high freight skid!

Vernon in C2197

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
Weave:
If you use the first foot and a half of a 24' box, do you then list yourself as having a 22' box, since that's the effective capacity of your unit?

This is a great idea. I had thought about hanging bikes from the roof of the truck, but this makes even more sense: just build storage capacity into your box. Except for trying to get to spare tires when loaded, it should be great.

BigRed32771