Info on H.P.D Transport

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi All!

Looking for information about H.P.D Transport out of Brampton
Ontario.

Anybody have any idea what they are like to run or drive for?

I'm thinking of getting into expediting,(ya ya I know) and they are in my area and are hiring drivers and o/o's

Sooooo, as the smartest way to be stupid by getting into this business now is by driving to see if I like it first and then maybe looking at a unit down the road if the economy shows some sustained recovery, I just wondered if anybody has had any experiences with them.

Thanks and Happy New Year to everybody!!!
:7

5thwheeler

Expert Expediter
Hi, roadeyes
I visited their place back in 1997. They used to be at the corner of Derry and 410. They had a small place back then. I found them by "accident". :) The company truck I drove was involved in a small fender-bender accident. The repair shop reaaaally took their time fixing it. I had nothing to do for a couple of days, and I was wondering around town. :) While driving a big semi, I often saw small Hino trucks. During my "vocation" I decided to check them out. I went to Western Star/Hino dealer at Eglinton. They've showed to me the little FB(18000 lbs gross) and I loved it. It is a great truck in it's class. Not expensive to my surprise, too. I was ready to pick one up, but I was worried about finding the job with this truck. Since it is not a big truck, but not a cube van, either. While I was talking to a Joe Kostek(Hino salesman) somebody called him. Then during the conversation Joe goes to me, "I got a job for you with this thing". I was about to jump. So he sends me to H.P.D. Transport. When I arrived there, I saw nothing but little Hinos, with 24" bunks built into a box. It was the only company that I found, that uses little Hinos for the long haul. So I went inside, and spoke to the guys. I've found out that they were running too much NYC. :( And I swore to myself, that I would never drive a big truck there, again. :) So I went home, and started to compare what I had, and what I might have.
During that time, I switched to Ontario-Quebec, ONLY. We pulled water pipes on flat bed. I was making around $1000CND per week(Mon-Fri) The truck was a KW T600A aero. So it was not bad for a company driver. Of course, driving my own little Hino could be a treat, after some of the rough moments of notmyownbigsemi driving. The money H.P.D. have promised were not bad, too. The total gross was around $120000. Because of the size, amazing fuel economy, great warranty, ease of use :), etc., the "clean" profit for the vehicle of this size was fair. I could also drive it home, and park on my driveway without breaking the law. It is like a car. :) But still, I was thinking, and thinking, and decided to stay with the place I had. I couldn't not live in 24" bunk, built into a cargo box. I didn't really want to do alot of NYC, etc.
I visited HPD few month ago. They moved to a larger place. They have more trucks, including Volvos with 53' trailers. To my surprise during the weekend I saw tons of the trucks parked. I don't know. Either they are not doing so well. Either, they are doing very well Mon-Fri. My guess is the first one. The stuff they pull, and places they go would keep most of the trucks out of the yard, I think. Also, the trucks are not in very great shapes. But I can be wrong. Also, they have an increased demand for company drivers. Back in 1997, I don't think they were hiring company drivers.
I don't know. You can always try as a company driver, and see how it is going.
Also, if you are not far from them, as you say, do some "research" on them, if you have some spare time. Just grab some coffee, bag of donuts, and park in front of the yard. Then see what they are doing during the day. :) He...he...N
Try to talk to the drivers. I didn't find any, during my last visit. Although, office and warehouse were open. They were loading the little Hino with barrels with some chemicals, or explosives. They have the signs on their trucks, so probably they pull it often.
Anyways, I recommend to talk to the drivers. Maybe talk to them on CB, so they might be more "open" to you.
Also, see if car carriers have something. There is a company that pulls cars with a fifth wheel between Toronto and Ottawa. I don't remember the name. But if you are on 401 in Toronto area, you can often see them. Most of the trucks are Dodge Ram with sleeper, or without. I talked last summer with one O/O at Cornwall truck stop. He averages CND$100-140K gross with his own Dodge, and 4 car fifth wheel.
Anyhow, good luck with your search. You might not get on the right track(truck?) for the first time, but you will get there eventually. :)

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Every so often I see HPD down here in the states.They seem to do a lot of store fixtures hauling from Ontario Store Fixtures near Toronto.I have been at that account and the HPD drivers seemed OK with the company.They said they generally stay busy,but you are right about NYC,also if A HPD truck comes into the USA it will probably deadhead back empty.