Info on Express 1

trucknfather

Expert Expediter
Anyone out there presently driving or have driven for express 1 that would care to share good/bad information with me?

Thanks

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Bearcat was looking for information about them back in January and did not get any replys. Every time I see one of their trucks, I think that it is sure would take a lot of work to remove that big sticker from the side of my straight truck. Express 1 was at the expediter show last year and I would guess will be there again this year. Right Lawrence???

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Larry,

Yes, Express-1 will be at the show, as well as 70 + exhibitors! Hope to meet you all there!

Thanks,
Lawrence
Expediters Online.com

Bearcat

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I jumped on with express-1 early in the year. It was less than 2 months with them when I shut down my truck because of slow business. My last run with them I sat in tennesse from dropping a load on monday night and sat until saturday for a load out. I got offered a load in the middle of the week to dead head around 200 miles for a load but turned it down. I was already on my last leg when I jumped on with them hoping they would keep me busy and I could get caught up on the truck payments but it didn't happen. I didn't get any response to my questions asking about the company on this forum so thought no bad comments meant a good company. Try to ask current owner/ops to see if they are busy now. You might get a better picture. I do recommend that if you jump on with them, DO NOT put those big decals on the side of the truck until your comfortable with the company. It took me a week to remove them myself. The people at express-1 are very nice and helpfull. I would of stayed if they could of kept me busy. Good luck.
Randy

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well this is only from 1 Express 1 Driver,but last Thursday night I was fueling at the TA in Gary Indiana and a Express 1 E Unit (Semi tralier) was next to me.The driver said they were "running his wheels off". so they may have some decent business. He told me they had 5 E units and were looking at going after Fedex CC E unit business.

hurryin hoosier

Expert Expediter
Have been with Express-1 for a couple of years and live within 50 miles of where they are located. Operate a van and haven't experienced a lot of the negative things i have seen about other companies on this forum and what other drivers have told me. :) ;-)

jcdbama

Expert Expediter
Hi..I ran for Expressss-1 in a b unit for about 2 years.. Alot of changes in the company in those years...I liked the people..dispatch was ok..they have a small area for their customer base..depend a lot on NLM when you are outside that area. Primarily southern MI, northern IN a little bit chicago and northwest OH. they only pay you DH if they are dispatching you to pick up a load over 100 miles form you, all other DH is on you. They also have company trucks and drivers you are competeing for freight with.. a definate conflict of interest to me and a big reason I left them.. bought a d unit and wasnt run the way we thought we should be.. got to the office on a friday early afternoon, sat all weekend watching the company trucks come and go..still that way according to the drivers I have talked to recently..pay is ok, bobtail insurance is on you, plus health benefits, like all expediting companys..good luck to you if you sign on with them.

Bigtyme

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Beware they have a $1250.00 sign on fee!!! And they are really slow right now too. Express 1 would be a great company if they had steady work. Sorry to say I will be leaving them really soon due to lack of work>>.

lighting

Expert Expediter
the people at express 1 are extremley nice and easy to work with.i had a straight truck there for a short time i left because if i got out of in,mi,oh,i couldnt get a load a lot of deadhead.they do have company trucks.

G

Don't waste your time. Yes, the people are nice, but that doesn't pay the mortgage. As with other companies, they are all talk-no-show.
They add new drivers weekly, run them for a week, then leave them sit with the rest of us. Before I signed up I asked to see proof of paid miles driven per week per avg. driver. They skew the numbers by listing you Out of Service if they can't find a run.I've been involuntarily out-of-service for 2/3 of the time I've been signed up.
I'm currently looking for another company.
I heard that Express-1 used to have a motto of "one less truck than we need". That made happy, busy drivers. The owners have gotten greedy and now say they desire to emulate Fed-Ex,and you know what that policy has done to many drivers. CAN YOU SAY "BANKRUPTCY"? x( x(

don mocherman

Expert Expediter
don mocherman ALL TALK NO LOAD'S DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY (BIG SIGN ON FEE) came from CTX where I only got two load's a week to Express-1 where I only get one load a week. Hard to live on that.