INFO. on CUBE VANS

Bornfree

Expert Expediter
How is the business for cube vans,6 pallets/5500lb with sleeper?Is it considered a B or C unit?Is a 350-V8 Chevy,5.7L gasoline engine a decent motor?What companies might hire with such a vehicle?How old or new has to be?Is it worth buying one,and what are the PROS and CONS runing one.Income potential for a hard runing driver?Thank you. :)
"Are you talking to me?"

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
One question I can answer for sure and the others are speculation:
You question on the Chevy 5.7 350 HP. I just traded in a 1998 Chevy van for a new 2002. The 98 had 444,000 and was still running strong.
Did not burn oil and still had the pep it had when it came off the line. Great engine. That is why I traded in for a 2002 model instead of the 2003 as I understand they would not have this engine.
This van was the regular cargo van. In regards to the cube van, I have not really seen that many of them out there, I think, they are still rated as a B unit but I could be mistaken. Also I don't know the gross weight but I'm sure it is over 10,000 and if so the requirement for a log book should be looked in to.
;-)

GroundHawk

Expert Expediter
I haven't seen many cube vans with sleepers,but the draw back with this type of truck is that a tow motor can not load this truck with a problem.Most guys I know who run these carry a pallet jack and this hing takes up space and gets in the way.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Hi Hawk,
Your right about having problems loading them in the front of the box. It is a C unit and a log is required. Most companies want a van no older than 5 years.

G

We had one in the early 90's. Chevy 350 gas. Got about 8.5 MPG, but was very dependable except for the first tranny. Some companies will call 'em a "B" and other a "C". We had a home made sleeper in the front of the box, cramped but bearable. As others have said, loading and unloading is a pain. I had to tie a chain to skids so the hilo drivers could pull 'em out.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The cube trucks are something I've given a lot of thought to, and concluded if one is going to have a truck with that pallet capacity, get a dock high, you are way better off. The van guy at my co. even says his regular cargo vans do better than his cube trucks. I guess the combo of not dock high, no air ride, and limited GVWR on that type of truck are the reasons why.
-Weave-