Industry Information

carstea

Expert Expediter
In a few years I would like to buy a straight truck, and hire someone to drive it and pay them what would be a competitive wage. Is this type of thing possible in this industry, and could I sign up with a contracting company like FedEx even though I would not be a driver? Some other questions, what kind of straight truck purchased new would provide the greatest opportunity for being given loads to haul? How much would such a truck cost, how many paid miles could a driver expect to drive in one year's time and how many unpaid miles would also be expected (I think they are called dead head miles?), how many miles to gallon would the truck get, and is there much opportunity for this type of business in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Washington, Idaho) and down through Nevada, Arizona, California, Colorado etc. Just trying to see if this would even be feasible or if the margins would be so slim that you really couldn't hire a driver and pay an attractive wage. Any thoughts you can provide would be great...I'm just learning.

Lastly, does anyone know of any good books that have been written on this industry that would really get a totally uneducated person a bit more educated? I have been reading the things on this site and they have been an outstandingly awesome help as I have learned a great deal that way but didn't know if someone had a favorite book they refer others to.

Thanks

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
There are many variables in this industry that can make or break you. Judging on your questions and information that you are looking for I would suggest that before you commit to a truck and driver,drive for someone else who has equipment in the portion of the country you want to operate in. Your driver needs to make a decent weekly rate to stay on and if the area does not have the business,he or she will leave. Driver problems are a huge headache in the entire trucking industry,for every success story you hear there are 10 horror stories.
Look through the archives on this site and you can get a wealth of information before you go out and buy a truck. Based on my experience the western states generally require team drivers for expediting due to the long distances between cities.