In my dreams...

scratchplayer

Expert Expediter
Be Careful Out There People.
I've been driving professionally for 11 years, driving a cargo van most of the time. Express, local and regional delivery out of Cleveland, OH. I've spent more time on my cellular than I care to recall. I only wish I had the money that I've spent on airtime.
I've answered calls from several customers, dispatched several drivers, went through a divorce with my x-skank -errrr- x-wife, all on my cellular while blazing down the freeway at 70-80 miles an hour, trying to get to my next screaming hot pick-up 1 or 2 minutes sooner. Not to mention eating a full plate of food that is balanced on my right thigh, driving with my left knee, holding the phone with my left shoulder, writing up my delivery ticket and any important info from my phone call with my right hand, cramming food into my pie-hole with my left hand, gas and brakes(yeah, right) with my right foot.
Have you ever gotten the power cord wrapped up in the steering wheel while making a sharp turn? That makes life real interesting in a heartbeat.
I said all of that to say this:
I have never had an accident after 80,000 miles/year of driving. I objectively consider myself one of the best drivers on this planet (as are most professional drivers, and most of the people reading this post). We all dodge more accidents everyday than most people see in a month. SOME PEOPLE CAN PROCESS MORE THAN 1 THING IN THEIR BRAIN AT 1 TIME, OTHER PEOPLE CAN'T. If you are one of the people who can't: Do yourself, your friends and loved ones, and the rest of society a HUGE favor...PULL OVER BEFORE YOU PLACE OR ANSWER A CELLULAR CALL. And no, having a hands free unit doesn't let you off the hook. It's your ability to process information and react to situations (i.e. it's your brain), not your hands being on or off the wheel. Here's a test. If you can't drive in a perfectly straight line and adjust your radio at the same time, you're probably one of these people. Another test- Eat a sandwich, drink a Pepsi, drive a straight line. Can't do it? It doesn't make you a "bad person". It doesn't make people who can "good people". You should just be honest with yourself and realize that you shouldn't talk on your phone and drive at the same time.
We've all got to be responsible for our own actions. Check yourself.
And be honest.
If you are one of the few who aren't having a problem keeping it out of the ditches, continue to use your phone responsibly. And no, I don't drive like I described above all of the time I'm on the road. Not even close. But we have all had to do some ill-advised things at one time or another. You do what you have to do to get your job done. The most important thing is to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to be safe. And that may mean something different to each one of us.

The replies to this should be interesting...

Jeff

RobZip

Expert Expediter
The problems arise when someone who is not up to highway multi tasking attempts it. There are some sharing our roadways who should not operate a countertop appliance without a chaperone yet they are given carte blanche to do whatever the hell they feel like in a 2 ton SUV. The quicker they Darwinize themselves without involving others is to everyones benefit. Unfortunately it doesn't always work out that way.

paperback1

Expert Expediter
How in the HELL can you consider yourself to be one of the safest drivers on the planet??? YOU, in my opinion would be in the lower tier my freind!!! Most Pro Drivers don't "dodge" getting in accidents, we simply drive well enough not to have to be put in the situation of being close!! If your calls are SO IMPORTANT that you have to risk not only your life, and safty, but, the lives and safty of others on the road, pull off and complete your call. Your additude is that of a teenager" I drink at parties and never got stoped or a dui in 5 yrs... till this accident, and didn't mean to kill anyone" . Do us and yourself a favor, get a headset for your phone, and drive like the pro you say you are.

newthead

Expert Expediter
In think food would be safer to consume on the road too if it was put in a toothpaste-type squeeze tube. I can just see it now...steak and mashed potatoes with asparagus ala Crest! Oh well, just a thought.