Cargo Van In-app DVIR for Sprinters and Vans

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Who thought this was a good idea? It's stupid. Did we pay somebody from Panther to make this decision? I'm getting notifications to perform MonkeyWork to create a DVIR for a non-CMV on days that I don't even drive the vehicle.

Reactions: RoadTime

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Not sure once again about the panther reference. BUT....like most the app enhancements it was actually initiated by a driver. He observed that some van drivers didn’t really take the time to pre trip their vehicles. We looked at with safety and determined it was an easy add and would hopefully help to remind drivers to inspect equipment. In the event of a lawsuit it also shows that we promote safety as a company. It should only require it on days you are in service and available. No defects takes a few seconds to complete. This post took longer than two weeks of no defect reports ‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Not to mention if you are trying to sleep at that time it wakes you up, thumbs up safety :rolleyes:
Besides the stupity of it, all I get on my iphone 5C is the notification with no option to do anything about it.
Just another reason...The strike continues :resistanceisfutile:

Reactions: piper1 and Turtle

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
In the middle of the Lions game we are talking to the tech team about a toggle off for that notification. #morefleetcommitmentthatpantheroranyoranycarrierwilldo

Reactions: ntimevan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Not sure once again about the panther reference.
Panther has a plethora of rules that were created because of one rare or very uncommon instance, that sound good and feel good but aren't really thought through with regards to efficacy or unintended consequences. The result is a really lot of really stupid rules that end up getting enforced because they are rules and rules must be enforced. A requirement that drivers of non-CMVs create a DVIR screams of that process.
BUT....like most the app enhancements it was actually initiated by a driver. He observed that some van drivers didn’t really take the time to pre trip their vehicles.
A Hall Monitor. Got it.
We looked at with safety and determined it was an easy add and would hopefully help to remind drivers to inspect equipment.
A feel-good rule if I ever saw one. It doesn't burden Safety in any way, that doesn't really accomplish anything, but makes people in Safety think it does.
In the event of a lawsuit it also shows that we promote safety as a company.
Has lack of DVIRs for non-CMVs been a particular problem in the past? Or is it more of a case of feel-good fixing things that aren't broken?
It should only require it on days you are in service and available.
It does. But it also requires the pre-trip inspection to be performed and the report created even on days when there is no trip to pre-inspect.
No defects takes a few seconds to complete. This post took longer than two weeks of no defect reports ‍♂
You're really going to try and rationalize the wasting of someone else's seconds? How about awarding 50 Gold Rewards Points for each non-CMV no-defect DVIR that gets submitted. That would at least attach some value to those seconds that others disregard as being so inconsequential as to be wasted.

Reactions: RoadTime

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
The ability to toggle the alert off and on is now available in settings.

Sent from my iPad using EO Forums

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So far I've only been doing them on days I get a load. If the van has been sitting in the driveway for 3 days waiting and not moving, I didn't feel the need. Do we get scored on it? Nice that we can turn off the alert sqwak.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
No I don’t think we have a scoring system on it.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As vitally important as this is, I'm surprised that Safety isn't tracking and scoring this.

Oh, wait, I forgot. Hall Monitor. <snort>

Must be monitored/tracked since someone in safety said you would be put OOS if it wasn't done :rolleyes:

Reactions: Turtle