I'll never go here for service again

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It was time for the 1200 hour service on the ProHeat. I was near Springfield, MA. so I went to the Carrier Transicold dealer there, a ProHeat master dealer. I'm to blame for not inquiring first but since it's difficult to get to a dealer I just went there. They charged $77.25 more in labor for a 1200 hour than I paid MidStates Cummins for an 800 hour and there's LESS involved in the 1200 hour! Again, my fault for not determining this up front but I was just thinking I was there and the next opportunity might be a couple hundred hours past due. Shame on me for not asking and shame on them as well for being a ripoff.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Drluvv

Expert Expediter
Sorry to hear that LDB, for some reason garages think that all truckers are rich no matter how big our rig is. We've all got taken one way or another out here, just remember which garages treated you right the first time and pass along the info.

Jack Jackson

Expert Expediter
I had pretty much the same experience at Freightliner in Tulsa, OK.
They charged me $64.89 to change the oil in my Onan generator and I provided the filter! A1so charged me $256.02 to do a lube, oil and filter change. In addition to charging me for 30 quarts of oil for a 26 quart engine, they left the transmission dipstick hanging out, left the fuel-water sensor unplugged, and (I found out today)over-
tightened the drain plug so that it had to be loosened by a vice-grip
and hammer

tazman

Expert Expediter
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience....

Service especially in the Northeast is an interesting situation...

Rates as governed by the local business community ...labor rates and what is required to operate the shop....insurance (i.e. liability etc.)............

You were in the probably the "highest" area for a lot of these type of items.......You did know that living in Mass. entitles you to pay 20% more !!!! (pun...pun)

Botton line...as you said...ask BEFORE you order....

Thanks,

Frank in Pa.
"The Beast in the East"

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
On an opposite note...
One of my favorite places for a PM or repair was at the Petro in Kingdom City, MO on I-70. Prices were fair and the quality of service was excellent. I made it a point to do PM's there. They were the kind of place that would hit all the fittings with the grease gun - and not just tell you they did. That goes a long way in my book.
Something to keep in mind. - Scott